Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solids..?

Default Re: Solids..?

about the rice cereal. It's totally unnecessary. My mom bought some and she gave it to my son a couple times, but he projectile vomited each time he ate it even though he only took a bite or two of the stuff. I'm not sure why that happened, he was fine other than the vomiting. Maybe it was just coincidence, but we never gave it to him again after that. He didn't much care to be spoon fed anyway.

I think doctors like the fact that it is fortified with iron in particular. You can just give meats, beans, and leafy greens to get iron. Cooking in cast iron pans helps with that too.

We did "baby led solids/weaning" once my son made it perfectly clear that he had zero interest in being spoon fed, and I absolutely love it. It is definitely worth looking into.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilpats-mama View Post
    If things are going well for baby with EBF, and you are happy with it, and your LO is only 5 mo, I would wonder what the rush is.
    No no rush, i meant to say that i was planning to start solids AFTER 6 months not before! As per the email, you never know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Rice cereal is often recommended as a first food because it is bland and because it is often fortified with vitamins and minerals. Many moms and some doctors don't recommend cereals as first foods for three reasons: one, babies don't necessarily like bland foods, particularly if they are breastfed (since breastmilk is flavored by what you eat, which means baby has been exposed to flavorful food since birth), two, the vitamins and minerals in rice cereal are easily obtained from more nutritious foods like fruits, veggies, and meats, and three, rice cereal may have vitamins and minerals but aside from that it's just pure starch. No fiber, no fat, no protein. It's not the healthiest stuff!
    I wonder what our ped will say when i tell him all this.. I don't get it, why would they suggest it if it is not he healthiest of things? And all this difference of opinions as to what should be tasted first is frustrating when trying to figure out the best for your baby.. Step one though is trying to convince my husband we dont need solids for another month.. He is really eager to start cause he also wants to feed her and my mother in law is constantly asking "when are you giving her solids?".. Today she wanted to give her banana!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mariamilo View Post
    I don't get it, why would they suggest it if it is not he healthiest of things?
    If I had a dollar for every time a doctor made a recommendation that was not in the best interest of their patient, or ran contrary to best practices or the most current scientific knowledge, I'd buy my DH a yacht for his birthday tomorrow. And an ocean to put it on, too!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wonder what our ped will say when i tell him all this.. I don't get it, why would they suggest it if it is not he healthiest of things? And all this difference of opinions as to what should be tasted first is frustrating when trying to figure out the best for your baby.. Step one though is trying to convince my husband we dont need solids for another month.. He is really eager to start cause he also wants to feed her and my mother in law is constantly asking "when are you giving her solids?".. Today she wanted to give her banana!
    I suspect rice cereal has long been recommended as a first food because it can be watered down to the point of-well, water. This is why some people make the mistake of putting rice cereal into bottles.

Why is this important? because historically, particularly after the use of expensive formula became widespread, many people were motivated for financial reasons to start solids way way way too early-and a baby of 3 or 4 months old (or younger, there was a time 6 weeks olds were routinely given rice cereal-shudder) could choke on anything that was not essentially liquid. Parents still hear from some peds the idea that a baby 'should" start solids at 4 months, against the recommendation of the AAP.

The other reason is, rice cereal has been fortified with iron supplements. Iron is an important nutrient, but as mommal points out, it is certainly available in a natural more easily digestible form in other foods, and also in breastmilk, (but less so after 6 months or so, which is why SOME but not all breastfed babies need to eat iron rich foods or take an iron supplement prior to a year.) And lastly, rice tends to be less allergy creating than other grains. So, that is why rice, instead of wheat, for example.

But rice cereal is notorious for causing terrible constipation. And yes babies often do not like it. The idea it is the best first food is incorrect. What is “best” depends on your family and your baby.

And breastmilk is all a baby needs until 6 months and often beyond-sometimes WAY beyond. Every kid is different. And reaching for spoons or food is not a sign of readiness for solid food. Many kids just want the spoon, or to imitate-thier earliest way of being social.

Telling a mother of a well gaining, healthy ebf 5 month old baby that the baby should start solids is parenting advice, not medical advice. If, on the other hand, your doctor said you COULD start solids if you wanted, that is just his opinion that some 5 month olds are ready for solids, which I do not disagree with. I think some are, just as I think some kids are not ready until well past 6 months. The idea all kids are ready at 6 months on the dot is silly. But that does not mean you have to start giving baby solids now or you are “withholding” solids if you wait a little longer.

As far as solids making a baby sleep longer-no research backs up this commonly held belief. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../solids-sleep/

I suggest you get the book “The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding”8th edition and read the chapter “The scoop on solids.” This kellymom article is good too, if a bit too regimented for my tastes. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/solids-how/

No no rush, i meant to say that i was planning to start solids AFTER 6 months not before! As per the email, you never know!!!
    Ah! Thanks for clarifying. And I understand the pressure from others. It is often that they are just not informed about the current research on solids (for example our mothers' generation was told something quite different about solids - I had family members who said, "Well, so-and-so was eating rice cereal at 6 weeks and she's fine!" when I tried to explain the current recommendations. First of all that type of example from family is anecdotal and not scientific, and we don't necessarily know whether a relative having had solids at that age could contribute to various issues later, e.g., digestive problems for an immature gut, etc.

If you want to wait and all else is going well as you mentioned, explaining the information could help - and beyond that, it helped me to remember that I am the mom, and (together with informed dad) can decide what is best for our LO.