Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: x-rays and breastfeeding

Default x-rays and breastfeeding

I need to get an x-ray next week on a foot. Does any one know if this is dangerous for my child. should I pump my milk and throw it out after the x-ray?

thank you for the info!

Default Re: x-rays and breastfeeding

Getting an x-ray is not at all dangerous for your baby and will not affect your milk. The radiation passes through you and is gone. You do not become radioactive from an x-ray.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you!!! you are always wonderful in responding our questions! I (we) really appreciate it!!

Can I follow on to this with another x-ray question - is it safe to put pumped milk through the x-ray machine at the airport? I had my milk skip the machine and get hand-checked by security, but I didn't know whether that was a necessary precaution or not.

i'd like to know, too. someone i know was just refused this flying out of chicago - they made her put her milk through the xray. i have put mine through and didn't think twice about it, but i actually don't know.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Wow, seems like they aren't being consistent! (Shocking, actually, given what we read about people's experiences these days ... ) I was specifically told by the TSA agent in Albuquerque that it was up to me whether I wanted to put it through or have it hand-checked, and he was nice about it when I asked.

X-rays will not affect milk that goes through a TSA scanner. Again, the x-ray energy passes through the object, after which it is gone. The energies involved are low, and are not enough to interact with the nuclei of the atoms in a way that would create a radioactive particle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    X-rays will not affect milk that goes through a TSA scanner. Again, the x-ray energy passes through the object, after which it is gone. The energies involved are low, and are not enough to interact with the nuclei of the atoms in a way that would create a radioactive particle.
    Thanks for this info! Good to know.