Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solids..?

Default Solids..?

Dear all, my lo is 5 mo and our paediatrician says we should start on solids. She has been exclusively breastfeeding up until now and is doing great on weight and height.

I want to keep her another month on exclusive breastfeeding but she is really eager to start eating. She goes crazy when she sees food on the table and everytime i'm ready to take a bite she opens her mouth waiting for it!

What should i do?I dont want to deprive her of food if she wants it that bad but then again i want to do the best possible for her.

Thanks!

Default Re: Solids..?

Feel free to wait a month. It's wonderful that your baby is excited to join in at mealtimes, but that doesn't mean you have to start solids now. If she's getting impatient, hand her an empty spoon, bowl, or cup to play with at mealtimes. That way she'll feel like she is just like the big people, with their fancy utensils!

When you start solids, I highly recommend and approach called Baby-Led Weaning or Baby-Led Solids, where you don't spoon-feed your child purees or cereals. You just put a selection of healthy, baby-friendly solids in front of your LO and let her experiment with getting them into her own mouth. Good starter foods include things like steamed mashed veggies (carrots, peas, sweet potatoes), cheerios, and whole peeled apples (babies generally have a greattime licking and tasting them).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Breastmilk is so healthy and breastmilk really does contain all the nutrients a healthy baby needs.
    I avoided all the pureed baby foods and cereals and I waited until my LO's could self feed.
    I did nurse around the clock and my lo's were in arms reach all day.
    If you baby can sit up w/o slouching and if you baby can bring her thumb and pointer finger together to pick up a piece of soft food, like cooled potato, avocado, banana then go for it. Sometimes food is more like a learning activity than a true meal.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

and remember - under 1, just for fun! food is ALL learning activity, not meals, until at least 1. till then, milk or formula is the main food.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My son showed several signs of readiness before 6 months. We gave him just a couple bites of solids around 5.5 months and it really bothered his tummy, so we stopped and waited until 6.5 months to start back up with it. I think sometimes babies brains are ready for solids a little early, but most of the time their tummies are not. My son still mostly just played with his food until 8 months, when he started taking a few bites here and here.

There's no hurry to start solids. You're not depriving your baby of anything; you are providing her with the best possible nutrition.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

If Dr. is saying go for it - I would say nurse LO before meal time to make sure she is adequately nurished and if she still acts like she is interested in food put a few items (easy to "chew" (or gum rather) and swallow of course) in front of her to see what she does. However, I know my biggest fear with starting solids (when we get to that point) is allergies since they run in my family horribly and babies are more prone to food allergies before 6 months. So be cautious.
    ~ Andrea

Happily married to Scott (11-28-09)
    Proud mama of Brielle Morgan (3-7-12).
    Bent on breastfeeding - no matter how many hurdles we have to jump over.
    Working full time so we're "winging it" with everything else and doing what works best for us.

Thank you all for your answers and input. I am in no rush to start solids (my husband is, he thinks she will sleep longer) but since she is so eager and our doctor said so this is why i am asking. I was planning on starting before 6 months since i am enjoying breastfeeding her a lot. Another thing that confuses me is the difference of opinions when it comes to what she should start with. My doctor wants to give her rice flour (i am not sure this is the right name since i'm greek) but it is a sort of puree. We don't have any allergies in the family so i'm not concerned but still why the difference of opinions?

Rice cereal is often recommended as a first food because it is bland and because it is often fortified with vitamins and minerals. Many moms and some doctors don't recommend cereals as first foods for three reasons: one, babies don't necessarily like bland foods, particularly if they are breastfed (since breastmilk is flavored by what you eat, which means baby has been exposed to flavorful food since birth), two, the vitamins and minerals in rice cereal are easily obtained from more nutritious foods like fruits, veggies, and meats, and three, rice cereal may have vitamins and minerals but aside from that it's just pure starch. No fiber, no fat, no protein. It's not the healthiest stuff!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If things are going well for baby with EBF, and you are happy with it, and your LO is only 5 mo, I would wonder what the rush is. For some additional personal perspective on baby seeming interested in food - our LO started grabbing for my husband's coffee cup when he was something like 5 mo old or even younger. It's not because he wanted to have (or should have, of course!) coffee - it's because he wants to be more like the people he spends the most time with and start doing what they're doing. So my husband while holding him would let our LO copy him and put his mouth on the mug to "take a sip" - obviously not to drink any, and LO wasn't even trying to do that in the beginning - just to make him feel like he was part of the experience.

I've also read that in the beginning of moving to solids, babies are just as interested in empty cups and (safe) utensils as they are in the food, as mommal mentioned.

I like to think of it this way - just because my baby starts pounding on my laptop keyboard if I happen to sit with him in front of it, does not mean he intends to send an email.

Oh! I forgot to mention the AAP guidelines, which do recommend EBF for 6 mo:

"The American Academy of Pediatrics reaffirms its recommendation of exclusive breastfeeding for about 6 months, followed by continued breastfeeding as complementary foods are introduced, with continuation of breastfeeding for 1 year or longer as mutually desired by mother and infant."

from http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...29/3/e827.full