Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to start pumping?

Default when to start pumping?

my baby will be 3 weeks old on Saturday. I plan to return to work when he is 7 weeks. When is the best time to start pumping to build up my stored supply for when I return to work?

Thanks

Default Re: when to start pumping?

I would wait until the week before you start pumping (two weeks before, max). Your supply is very sensitive to external influences so early on, and you can drive a nasty oversupply by pumping too early (speaking from experience). When you do start pumping pick one time to pump every day. Pumping at the same time is less likely to create an oversupply. Mornings usually yield the most milk. You likely won't get too much the first few times you pump, and that is normal so don't sweat it. You can in a second pump during the day if you need it.

Keep in mind that you only need enough milk for that first day (1-1.5 ounces for every hour you are gone). You will need to pump milk for the next day while you are at work to keep your supply up. It's nice to have a few extra "just in case" bottles, but you don't need to overdo it with the pump.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; June 14th, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Default Re: when to start pumping?

Also, make sure to leave small bottles (2 ounces, 3 at the most) for your baby. Breastfed babies tend to eat small amounts frequently. Have your care giver use paced bottle feeding to avoid overfeeding (which is unfortunately way too common).
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).