Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frequent waking during naps

Default Frequent waking during naps

My DS is 15 month old. He nurses about 3 to 4 times a day mostly in the evenings. We co sleep and he wakes to nurse once or twice during the night. I work full time and during weekends when he naps during day time i nurse him to sleep. On weekdays my mom rocks him to sleep for his nap. His naps are always short. He will sleep continuously for 1 hr and will wake up and cry. My mom will have to rock him back to sleep and he will go back to sleep for another hour. If it is a weekend if he wakes up and cries i nurse him back to sleep.

Now i am starting to wonder if he is frequently waking up just to nurse..And if indeed will he take the 2 - 2.5 hr nap continuously if i had not nursed him back to sleep every time he wakes.?
    And also do toddlers who are completely weaned wake up during the night or do they sleep through the night?

My sister in law's baby was completely weaned by 9 months and his naps are pretty long..

Default Re: Frequent waking during naps

In my experience, weaning and sleeping through the night or continuously during naps are not related. I have found, though, that our 14-month-old often wakes up and cries out for a minute or two and then goes right back to sleep. I've never figured out what this is exactly -- my best guess is that she's upset something has woken her up, or her brain is processing something that happened during her awake time that she found was disturbing, and she's crying out in her sleep. I don't know if you're comfortable with this, but have you tried leaving him for 5 or 10 minutes when he cries to see if he'll go back to sleep on his own?

Having said this, though, if he's well-rested (meaning happy during the day when he's not napping) and you and your mom are okay with this routine, then you're probably fine just continuing doing what you're doing. Basically, if it works for you and your family, don't try to fix something that isn't broken. The most important thing is doing what's most enjoyable to you, and I wouldn't pay much, if any, attention to what other babies are doing.

Just a few thoughts. And for what it's worth, in our household, an hour nap is considered long, particularly if it's followed by another hour nap right afterwards. I'd say you have a pretty sweet gig going already.
    Mom to 4/19/2011, 5/14/2009, and 12/14/2002

with the PP. I know it's tempting to draw the conclusion that weaning causes a baby to sleep longer stretches, but I personally don't think it works that way. I think kids sleep through when they are developmentally ready, and that happens at a different point for all children. For a lot of them, I don't think sleeping through comes until they have all their teeth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think kids sleep through when they are developmentally ready, and that happens at a different point for all children. For a lot of them, I don't think sleeping through comes until they have all their teeth.
    I could not more. Ever since his first birthday my son will start sleeping really well at night, and as soon as that happens another tooth starts working it's way up. I don't think he wakes to nurse; I think he wakes because his gums hurt (those second year teeth are nasty!). Nursing is just the quickest, easiest way to get him to sleep. I'm pretty sure all weaning would do is take away my means of getting us back to sleep.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks ladies.. This is indeed very encouraging to hear..
    @llli*smileyface : No i never leave him cry for few minutes & not comfortable with that. I would rather comfort him to settle down faster..
    But you guys have been amazing with your help..

I have the same routine with my son, and usually have to hold him for that second hour. I stressed about whether he 'should' be sleeping in his cot (crib) at one point, but then decided it was a good opportunity to have a rest and read a book! His naps have actually gotten longer bit by bit, when there aren't any teeth coming in. I started with having to settle him after a half hour, to now usually and hour or an hour and 20 minutes, sometimes he even does an hour and 45 minutes. Until recently I used the method in the no-cry sleep solution, which was to wait outside his door from 10 minutes before he usually wakes, then go in at the first peep, and settle him straight away. The idea is that the baby will start to sleep longer stretches this way. it has seemed to work for my son. He is 17.5 months now and has been a fairly frequent nightwaker, but like the PP, he is sleeping longer stretches now when there isn't a tooth coming in, but the best we get is 1-2 wakings during the night and lots of fussing around from 5am to 6.30ish. He sleeps in his own bed until the first waking after I go to bed then comes in with us.

As one of the PP's said, if you're comfortable with what you're doing at the moment, just carry on as you are! I have read on other forums that weaning / nightweaning didn't stop nightwakings or improve sleep in lots of cases people posted about. I certainly believe now that my son doesn't wake to nurse, he asks to nurse because he's awake and has failed to settle himself after trying to. Since it gets a little better all the time (when he's not teething!) we've just decided to take the path of least resistance (after several attempts at active no-cry sleep training that only achieved very slight success). I have a friend who bottle-fed her daughter after she had to have surgery for a breast infection, and also did once do controlled crying with her to reduce nightwaking. Her little girl is 2 now, wakes once in the night frequently and needs to have books read to her to get back to sleep. It made me feel very lucky to still have breastfeeding to help my son along the way. i think if I had to turn the lights on and read a book I might go to pieces!

It's also worth keeping in mind that those naps will get shorter anyway as your child gets older, so eventually the hour may be all he needs anyway!