Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need more energy

Default Need more energy

I am BF my 9 month old DD2. She eats a bit of solids here and there. I am doing BLS so I just go by what she acts like she wants and needs. So far she isn't consuming much besides BM. She is a great weight and continues to grow and thrive perfectly.

I BF DD1 for 13 months and did fine. I've always had OS and OALD issues but have them under control.

Pretty much since DD2 was born I've felt tired. But the last few months it's gotten even worse. To the point where I feel like I can't even get up off the couch. I take a woman's multivitamin every day and have recently also started taking Iron again. I am frequently anemic so I started that again. But it doesn't seem to be helping. I know I am slightly underweight and could probably eat better. I make sure to eat often and good things.

I'm just so exhausted all the time. What can I do? I can't really get more sleep because A2 wakes up every 2 to 3 hours. I just nurse her back to sleep. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Need more energy

being tired makes me cranky and short tempered. the only thing that saved my sanity was napping.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

with naps.

Also plenty of sunshine, fresh air, and exercise. My son and I get out for lots of walks during the day, and the whole family takes an after dinner walk every evening. It gives me a little pick-me-up and helps my son sleep better too.

Eating well helps too. I keep sliced fruits and vegetables on hand to snack on throughout the day.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I'm not really sure how to manage naps as my 3 year old doesn't nap any more. And she has a habit of getting into trouble if I'm not around. I have found myself very very irritable lately too. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, though I probably need more green veggies. And I drink a lot of water....
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

How much do you get outside? Exercise impacts my energy level more than diet.

We're outside nearly every day. We have a pool at our apartment and love spending time out there. I don't get much exercise. I'm sure I need to do more. But it's so hard when I already feel so tired. Haha...bad excuse I know.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

No, it is hard when you're tired. I definitely get that. But as counter-intuitive as it may seem, exercise being as exhausting as it is, exercise is a great way to boost your energy level. You get less tired when you are in shape. Being skinny isn't being in shape. I was uber-waify for years, but I always felt drained a lot during the winter because I didn't get much exercise.

Keep in mind that getting exercise doesn't need to mean doing a workout. Just taking your girls out for a walk is exercise. Baby wearing gives you a little more of a workout when you go for a walk too.

Oh I baby wear all the time. She loves it haha. But yes I know I am "flabby skinny". Skinny without trying. I'll make an effort to do more physical activity. Even if its just a few minutes at first. :P
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I'm totally not criticizing. I was crazy skinny, but not very in shape for a large chunk of grad school because I was stuck in the lab a lot. People always looked at me like I was nuts when I said I needed to get some exercise. I think a lot of people don't get what healthy really means.

I think starting out small is really key. You can just tuck your baby in the sling and walk around the block with your toddler. That's exercise. It's actually quite good exercise. Quick walks like that made a huge difference for me when I was pregnant. I would be feeling tired and crummy, and I would force myself to walk just a little way down the road and back. I would feel like a million bucks by the time I got home.

also, can you be in bed LONGER? since DS was born, i go to bed with him around 8 pm, and wake up around 7 am. at the beginning, i was going to sleep with him; now at a year, i've gradually been sleeping better/more and so i stay in bed and read til 10 or 11. maybe when your 3 yo goes to bed, you and the 9 month old can too?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.