Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Alot of questions...please help

Default Alot of questions...please help

My 4 week old baby eats (for the most part) 2am, 5am, 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, 10pm. She has to be awoken for some of the feedings; mostly the 2am. Pediatrician recommended adding a 4 hour space at night. She is gaining weight and length well. Should we only do 2-3 hours between feedings? She is feeding around 25-40 minutes per feeding; usually 20-25 on the first breast (until she unlatches). I am starting back to work in 4 weeks so we are starting to introduce the bottle today (with my pumped milk of course). When I return to work I will work from 7:30am - 1:30pm. How often will she need to be fed while I am away and how often should I pump? Also, should I completely follow her demand or wake her up some also? Thanks

Default Re: Alot of questions...please help

Hi mama,

Congratulations! My main advice for you is to throw out the schedules and feed on cue. And stop watching the clock; watch the baby to see how she's doing.

How is her weight gain? If it's normal (ie she is gaining appropriately) then it's not bad to allow her to have a 4-hour stretch at night. But all this talk about "how long should we do between feedings" is really best set by the baby, not by you. The only exception is if she is NOT gaining well, then you would want to offer/encourage more frequent feeding.

Re: going back to work - 4 weeks is DOUBLE your baby's life. Everything will change by then! So don't freak out about any of this yet. In fact, if I were you, I wouldn't give a bottle until at least 2 more weeks from now; generally once breastfeeding is well-established after 6 weeks it's much less risky to introduce the bottle (in terms of bottle or flow preference developing). There's no reason to practice so early if it's not necessary.

There's a whole pumping forum, and lots of helpful moms there; I suggest re-posting your pumping questions over there. But in the meantime you might check out these links:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

i know there's a page on kellymom about going back to work and pumping but it's not coming up for me right now.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

100% with auderey. Feed on demand, allowing baby to sleep 3-4 hours at night ONLY IF SHE WANTS TO. During the day, wake her to feed every 2-3 hours if she does not spontaneously want to nurse sooner than that.

This is a great time to talk to your caregivers and ask how they will be feeding your baby. If they say they feed on demand, that's great. If they discuss any sort of rigid scheduling, then you have 4 weeks to convince them to change their ways or to find a different daycare.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That's pretty much what we have been doing...the times above were an average. She will wait 4 hours to nurse from 10pm to 2am on her own (she will only sleep through the night if I hold her). She increased her feeding times from 15 to 25-35 on average this past week. The latch looks good but sometimes I feel a little pain (not much)...more when she goes on feeding binges (every hour).

lots of moms feel just like a second of pain at initial latch that goes away. and soreness with growth spurts is normal, too. but anything more than that, and you can think about working on the latch. i really like this resource for going back to the basics:
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=videos
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks so much you guys for all the advice...If my daughter feeds for 25-40 minutes on one breast, is that too much? I have been trying to wait until she unlatches herself and then burp her and offer the same breast again. Sometimes she will only nurse for 15 and fall asleep...she falls asleep pretty easily when she is nursing sometimes

Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

hi mama - stop watching the clock! sleep-nursing and nursing-to-sleep and comfort nursing are very normal. let her "finish the first breast first" - however long that takes. it sounds like you're doing a good job. the time ranges you describe are perfectly normal. then burp or change her, offer the same breast again or the other breast, whatever seems right.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13