Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wake to feed?

Default Wake to feed?

My baby originally had poor weight gain but she is now gaining well. She has put on a pound in the last three weeks and her doctor is happy with that. The doctor also said that her growth in height has been rapid and above average (I forget the exact measurements). I also had problems with oversupply but today I am not engorged at all. I've always been waking my baby if she hasn't fed for 3 hours. However, I'm exhausted, and we just slept for 5 hours straight. I cosleep topless so she can feed while we're lying down there if she wants, but I forget whether we had a nursing session or not in that 5 hour period. My baby is almost 8 weeks old now. Do you think its ok for us to go these longer periods without nursing now or should I still use caution and wake her up every few hours if she hasn't awoken on her own?

Default Re: Wake to feed?

Oh and by the way I wanted to say thank you so much to everyone who helped me in my previous two threads! I am so happy to have a forum like LLL to come get advice from experienced BFing moms! You helped me more than you can imagine.

If she's gaining well, it's no problem at this age to let her go one 5 hour stretch.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

8 weeks old and gaining weight at an adequate rate? Let her sleep!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"