Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: couple questions

Default couple questions

Hi-

dd is almost 5 weeks old and I have an oversupply and forceful let-down. I had this with ds2 and feeding him on one side at a time seemed to help. I have been doing this with my daughter for a while now. I have a couple questions.

1. She nurses every 2.5-3 hours, but recently it has only been for 5-10 minutes tops. Is this typical? I am so nervous she is not getting enough. She can be fussy after for a while b/c I think she has to burp, but then is content for the most part.

2. Can she really get any hindmilk in 5 minutes?

3. What is the average time that this resolves or that the baby gets used to the flow?

4. Last-should I try block feeding-so using one side for maybe 2 feedings? I don't want to then overly reduce supply though.

Ugg-so confused... I just want her to enjoy her nursing time!

Default Re: couple questions

1. Very short feeds are very typical with overactive letdown (OALD). My son could effectively nurse in just a few minutes from one breast. As long as weight gain, diaper output, and other physical indicators like alertness are good, then your baby is getting plenty of milk.

2. Yes. The fat content of the milk changes gradually throughout the feed and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance is rarely a problem. If poops are normal looking, then there shouldn't be a problem.

3. It's variable. Mine was able to cope sometime around 3 months, but would still cough and choke (but no major issues) periodically until more like 6-7 months. Some babies get over it sooner, some later.

4. I would stick with the one breast per feeding and switching every feeding for a little while if you are not experiencing painful engorgement and plugged ducts and if your baby is not having foamy, explosive, green poops.

Nursing in a reclined position helped me more than anything else with the OALD. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my baby on my chest or stomach, and let him latch. I needed to tweak the positioning a lot before I found something that worked, but once we got it down it saved our nursing relationship!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).