Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk is gone.

Default Milk is gone.

It's over and I don't know why this has happened. Over the last few days my supply has dwindled and today there's nothing. Not when I feed my LO, not when I hand express, not when I pump. It's gone, and I'm so devastated. She's only 3.5 months and I can't believe this. I don't know what to do now. I feel like I failed my baby girl.
    I'm Erin, mommy to Ella, born at 33 weeks 4 days, and Addison, born at 35 weeks and 5 days.

Default Re: Milk is gone.

Is it possible that your period is about to return? The same thing happened to me at about the same time, and it was because of that.

ETA: My milk reappeared a few days after my period started.

Auderey is exactly right--you have not failed your daughter. Have you seen an IBCLC, or considered using something like fenugreek/oatmeal/etc to help boost your supply? I found oatmeal to be really helpful, and took fenugreek as well when my supply dropped.

Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; June 14th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

do you think this is why she wasn't getting much while nursing the last few days? or the reverse? in problem-solving mode, i want to help you figure out what might have happened, if that's what you want to do. and reverse it!

and even if this is it - which is not certain yet - you did NOT fail her. you gave her 3.5 months of your milk! that's more than most mamas in the US. i know it's not what you wanted and it's ok to grieve that lost future, but you should still feel proud of what you did.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

This is problem-solving mode, not critical mode, so I hope this post doesn't come across as critical.

Things to check:
    - diaper output- if baby continues to have adequate wet diapers, she is getting milk even if you don't think she is or if she seems fussy
    - pump- what are you using, how often are you pumping?
    - birth control options- are you using any form of hormonal contraception, and if so, what kind and when did you start?
    - pregnancy- any chance of that?
    - what exactly are you seeing that makes you think your milk is "gone"?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mommal, there was a post yesterday about how her LO had only taken like 14 oz in 24 hours -

does this work?
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...-LO-not-eating.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Mommal asked some good questions - birth control, pregnancy, etc. Milk doesn't just go away for no reason. There has to be some underlying medical condition or hormonal fluctuation responsible for this. I wonder too if stress could be playing a role. Stress can inhibit your letdown. It sounds like you have been really struggling with breastfeeding and have a very intense schedule with work and school. That's enough to stress out anyone. Try to find just a little time for yourself to do what you need to do to decompress. Even if this specific issue is unrelated to stress, a little you time is only going to do you some good.

I think you should call that LC now. This may be a fixable problem. Fixing this may also resolve your baby's feeding issues too. Good luck!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Just to respond to mommal, diaper output is not good, 3 wets yesterday, no poops. That's even with supplementing with the freezer stash, which LO isn't taking well either. I use a PISA, have only had it since March, and it worked for me as of yesterday, but nothing today. I am not using any form of birth control...other than abstinence. Hubs and I have not yet enjoyed that aspect of our relationship post-baby. And as far as the milk being gone, I had baby at the breast this morning and did a weigh-feed-weigh and she took 0.2 ounces. I then tried to pump and never got more than drops after 20+ minutes of trying with changing flange sizes, replacing membranes, altering suction, massage etc. Lastly, I tried hand expression and again just got drops.

I don't know about getting my period back...I guess we'll just wait and see.

I'm not fully giving up. My LC called in a prescription for Domperidone, and I am going to keep working at this. Because LO doesn't even like the bottle that much, I don't want her to really start to starve. But it's going to be a really rough few weeks, unfortunately. I hope this works.
    I'm Erin, mommy to Ella, born at 33 weeks 4 days, and Addison, born at 35 weeks and 5 days.

Thanks for answering those questions, mama. At this point, I'd love for you to see your primary care doctor. I'm wondering if maybe you're one of the significant number of women who experience postpartum thyroid problems (which can impact milk supply) or if there's another hormonal imbalance at play.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Domperidone is a wonder drug. After the first 4 doses I can already tell such a significant difference. LO is eating better, her output is better, and my pumping is better. Thank goodness, this seems like it's going to work.

And, my next annual is actually scheduled for July 31, so I'm thinking about trying to move it earlier and have some labs drawn. Maybe it is my thyroid or something else that fluctuates, because these dips in my supply happen periodically and without any other precipitating factor.

Glad to hear the Domperidone is helping!

Admiring your dedication and hard work!