Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Sippy for 6 month old

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    48

    Default Re: Sippy for 6 month old

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*midwestmama2010 View Post
    It's better in the evenings. But still best if she's really tired. But she *will* latch almost always now. And *THAT* is an improvement from a couple of months ago. Now, I am just trying to get her to stay on and wait for the letdown. She still won't latch anywhere but in my bedroom with the sound machine blaring in dim lighting. But that's okay with me. On June 26th, she will be 7 months. Did you get to read that mom Julie's article? Her baby started to come around at 7 months. Sometimes my LO will latch and then become more alert as she nurses. I'm taking this as a good sign of improvement too since she's nursing and she knows she's nursing, KWIM?
    Yes, I did read that article! Thank you for sharing! It certainly does give one some hope. Glad to hear that things are slowlllly improving for you and your LO. That is giving me hope as well. Just to clarify....your LO would only latch/nurse while asleep right? and now she is latching and nursing while awake?? That is great news! Hopefully someday she will be willing to do so in a different room, etc.... As for me...my dd will be 5 months on July 11th and will mark our 3rd month of refusing to nurse while awake. I have to take her upstairs, turn on the fan and air purifier for white noise, walk around and sing to her to get her to sleep, latch her while walking around, wait for the first letdown and only then do I even attempt to sit down on the bed for the rest of the feed. I keep trying the ring sling to help, but so far she gets mad. When she wakes up in the middle of the night I have to walk around and feed her then as well. Needless to say, it is e.x.h.a.u.s.t.i.n.g. My back is killing me. LOL I spoke to a IBCLC a few times over the phone and she is hopeful that *someday* she will nurse "normally". She also recommended to stop offering her the breast while she is awake and let her be the one to take the lead. Let her see the breast/play with them/have them available, etc., and hopefully someday she will latch on "her terms". So far, she has had no interest at all..... That is interesting that the 7 month mark seems to be a turning point. Please keep me/everyone posted on your progress!!!

  2. #12

    Default Re: Sippy for 6 month old

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ryanandjoshsmom View Post
    Just to clarify....your LO would only latch/nurse while asleep right? and now she is latching and nursing while awake??
    yes, that's correct. In February and March, she would cry if I even started down the hall with her because she knew I was going to offer, and for a while she would cry when she heard my bra unclip. And you can forget about the cradle position! She would arch her back if ANYONE put her in the cradle position. It's getting better now.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ryanandjoshsmom View Post
    When she wakes up in the middle of the night I have to walk around and feed her then as well.
    Is she sleeping in your bedroom? If I let mine wake up too much at night, I have a hard time too, but she sleeps in a crib attached to ours set up like a toddler bed with three sides. KWIM? And at some point, she ends up sleeping in our bed. But having her close means she doesn't wake up too much. I actually just scoop her up at the first sign of her stirring if it's been 2 hours or more.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ryanandjoshsmom View Post
    She also recommended to stop offering her the breast while she is awake and let her be the one to take the lead. Let her see the breast/play with them/have them available, etc., and hopefully someday she will latch on "her terms". So far, she has had no interest at all.....
    That's how mine was too. She just now will kinda pinch my nipple and try to inspect my breast, like anything else. And lately, she will try to nurse sitting up. Not seriously or for a full feeding, but almost like she's playing. I think I did stop offering completely for a little while but not long because I was afraid she would forget what they were for. I also started wearing these wooden beads that she likes. She will face me and relax if she's playing with those and I *think* it has kinda eased her back into feeling safe near my breasts.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    48

    Default Re: Sippy for 6 month old

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*midwestmama2010 View Post
    yes, that's correct. In February and March, she would cry if I even started down the hall with her because she knew I was going to offer, and for a while she would cry when she heard my bra unclip. And you can forget about the cradle position! She would arch her back if ANYONE put her in the cradle position. It's getting better now.



    Is she sleeping in your bedroom? If I let mine wake up too much at night, I have a hard time too, but she sleeps in a crib attached to ours set up like a toddler bed with three sides. KWIM? And at some point, she ends up sleeping in our bed. But having her close means she doesn't wake up too much. I actually just scoop her up at the first sign of her stirring if it's been 2 hours or more.



    That's how mine was too. She just now will kinda pinch my nipple and try to inspect my breast, like anything else. And lately, she will try to nurse sitting up. Not seriously or for a full feeding, but almost like she's playing. I think I did stop offering completely for a little while but not long because I was afraid she would forget what they were for. I also started wearing these wooden beads that she likes. She will face me and relax if she's playing with those and I *think* it has kinda eased her back into feeling safe near my breasts.
    Yep, she sleeps in a pack-n-play right next to our bed. I am a very light sleeper so I'm able to get to her at her first rousing and even then, she will balk at the breast and not feed until I've walked her around for a bit. Co-sleeping and side-lying nursing is how I survived the first couple of years of both my sons....so this is all new to me LOL. Even when she does sleep in bed with me, she won't latch on while lying down. For some reason, she has to be in motion. I like the idea about the beads/nursing neaklace. She is now getting to the age where she would like something like that.

    She usually nurses 7x in a 24 hour period. I know this in on the low end, but it's all I've been able to manage. Even waking her up at night. She seems to be gaining ok and diapers look good, so I'm trying to go with that. The IBCLC said to stop watching the clock and not to worry about the number of feedings. She seemed to think that she is taking in a large quantity during each feed (I am only nursing 1 side each feed...and was able to pump 4 oz easily with my manual pump one morning after she was refusing a feed so I'd have to agree).

    Thank you again for sharing what is working for you. Just knowing that someone else is dealing with this as well is keeping me going most days.

  4. #14

    Default Re: Sippy for 6 month old

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ryanandjoshsmom View Post
    She usually nurses 7x in a 24 hour period. I know this in on the low end, but it's all I've been able to manage. Even waking her up at night. She seems to be gaining ok and diapers look good, so I'm trying to go with that.
    It *might* seem on the low end, but like you said, her output is good and since we can't nurse when they're cueing, we can be confident they're getting enough by diaper count.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ryanandjoshsmom View Post
    She seemed to think that she is taking in a large quantity during each feed (I am only nursing 1 side each feed...and was able to pump 4 oz easily with my manual pump one morning after she was refusing a feed so I'd have to agree).
    I know they always say pumping is not a good indicator of supply, but I feel good too if I know I can pump 4 oz. easily, that she is likely taking in all of that and MORE on one breast. She doesn't have the patience for two boobs, so even tho I'm still making too much, I need it to stay that way until she relaxes enough to nurse on the other side.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ryanandjoshsmom View Post
    Thank you again for sharing what is working for you. Just knowing that someone else is dealing with this as well is keeping me going most days.
    You're welcome!! It really is getting better. I can look back at all my nursing and diaper count logs, and look at my previous posts from a few months ago, and really see the improvement now. At first, it's so subtle, and I was even cynical some days about the subtle improvements. But they really are there.

    I have to take my 27 month old for speech therapy every Wednesday morning at 9 and it used to be this elaborate choreographed morning thing to keep the house quiet enough for the baby to HOPEFULLY nurse before we go, and this morning, before we got out of bed, we played a little bit, and I *still* had to fight her thumb, and she *still* popped off until my milk letdown, and she *still* got too much too fast (spitup), but after my milk letdown, she NURSED calmy in my arms and softened my breast and even giggled a little bit resting against my breast while playing with my hair afterward.

    I am MORE THAN convinced that it will continue to improve. I can't wait to see what the next month holds!!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    48

    Default Re: Sippy for 6 month old

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*midwestmama2010 View Post

    You're welcome!! It really is getting better. I can look back at all my nursing and diaper count logs, and look at my previous posts from a few months ago, and really see the improvement now. At first, it's so subtle, and I was even cynical some days about the subtle improvements. But they really are there.

    I have to take my 27 month old for speech therapy every Wednesday morning at 9 and it used to be this elaborate choreographed morning thing to keep the house quiet enough for the baby to HOPEFULLY nurse before we go, and this morning, before we got out of bed, we played a little bit, and I *still* had to fight her thumb, and she *still* popped off until my milk letdown, and she *still* got too much too fast (spitup), but after my milk letdown, she NURSED calmy in my arms and softened my breast and even giggled a little bit resting against my breast while playing with my hair afterward.

    I am MORE THAN convinced that it will continue to improve. I can't wait to see what the next month holds!!
    This brought tears to my eyes!! That is great improvement! I can't wait to hear how things keep progressing for the two of you! I hope to be able to share some stories of improvement as well!

  6. #16

    Default Re: Sippy for 6 month old

    My LO is 7.5 months old we just started using Zoli straw cup. I got it on amazon, she loves it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •