Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weaning naturally at 12 months?? For real??

Default Re: Weaning naturally at 12 months?? For real??

I weaned at 13 mos, but my mom was also offering solids and not necessarily nursing me before every meal/snack. I don't know why I weaned so young when I see no end in sight for my 35 mo old, but I do think child's personality is a big part of it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

For a lot of children, I think the parents are really pushing solids, supplementing breastmilk with formula or cow's milk big time, and definitely not feeding on demand, and that will definitely result in weaning. There's definitely some prodding from the parents. But it's also true that some babies wean at that age despite their moms trying to get them back on the breast.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    Really, when everything in a child's life is in flux or chaos, sometimes breastfeeding is the only thing that is still going on that's right.
    Love this quote!

My ds starting nursing more around 13/14 months. By 15/16 months I was so exhausted! He woke up all the time at night and was nursing all the time during the day. He was having a mouth full of pain and got his 4 molars and 4 canines by the time he was 18 months. I felt more exhausted than having a newborn at times. Then suddenly it got better and better. He started sleeping longer at night and trying some more solid foods. Now at nearly 22 months he gets up 1-2 times a night to nurse (I think). We cosleep. If he does wake it's not very long because I feel well rested and find myself dreaming of a third baby. Go with what you and your baby are comfortable with and don't listen to anything other than how you and your baby feel.

I'm sure it's more rare than people let on. My son actually was more interested in nursing at 12 months than 9. I think if I had stopped offering he might have weaned.

That said I have a friend whose son truly did self-wean at 12 months. I fully believe her because she was tandem nursing her 3 year old at the same time, and the 3 year old continued to nurse for 6 months past the point he weaned.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein