Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby pinching

Default Baby pinching

My DS is 7 1/2 months old and has recently started pinching my skin while nursing. Does anyone else have a LO who does this, and what do you do about it? He also pulls on the other nipple while nursing, which I don't like. I don't think he understands that it hurts when he pinches. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Baby pinching

YES! mine started that about that age. it helped to redirect, with a nursing necklace. and i started wearing a shirt more to prevent access to the other nipple. super annoying.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I wore a nursing necklace or gave my son a toy to keep his hands occupied. Sometimes I would hold his hand. I absolutely cannot stand twiddling so I always keep the unused breast covered. From time to time when my son has been extra pinchy, I've needed to cover the unused breast with my hand. He has gotten mad about it a couple times, but I simply cannot tolerate it so I let him be mad.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

it helped me (mentally) when i learned that twiddling gets them an extra bit of milk. that makes sense. but i still hate it. on rare occasion when i'm feeling very generous (esp in the evening) i'll let him twiddle for a few seconds, but i have to steel myself for it in advance. usually i block access.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Glad I'm not alone! OK, will look into the nursing necklace.

I have long hair, so I tend to use a lock or a finger as a decoy. Alternatively, if my son has that pinchy gleam in his eye, I pretend to nibble on his fingers. This always gives us both a good chuckle!

also - keep baby's nails very short. this really helps.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13