Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: leaking

Default leaking

My DD is 3 months. I have always had a lot of milk. I find that I leak easily. Just a bit, enough to make a round mark on my shirt around my nipple. This happens every day a few times, all day long. I can feel it coming, but applying pressure doesn't seem to help. It happens even if I nursed her 2 hours ago. She often goes long between feedings. Lately I've tried putting her on even when she doesn't seem to want it but I am still leaking a bit. I never leaked with my other kids. But they weren't this laid back.

Anyone else experienece this? Any solutions? Its embarassing to have that wet mark on my shirt if I'm out somewhere. Am I Just not nursing enough or something? She's gaining great etc and is big for her age.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Default Re: leaking

I leaked until my son was about 15 months old.

The only thing I could do was wear nursing pads. It got old, but it was better than a wet shirt.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Nursing pads. I leaked with both my kids until around 6 months. But then it stopped without me needing to do anything. Until then, patterned shirts are your friends!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

okay, thanks...I just don't want to wear nursing pads, because I find they show through. Also, I find they make me itchy, and I've had a history of thrush. I tried those wool ones, but they were "no itch" and they made me itchy still.

Oh well, I guess I just take a spare shirt everywhere.

I still leak (at 21 months) if I don't wear a bra. I remember the days of having to change shirts 5 times. As though I had all kinds of time to be doing laundry. I found my cheap cloth pads to be un-absorbant and they definitely showed through my shirt. I finally broke down and started buying disposable ones. If you get nice wide ones, like the Lansinoh or Evenflo brand, they don't seem to show through. The thicker, smaller pads showed through badly (Johnson's brand, in particular.) I ended up using Evenflo as my go-to pad. Lansinoh also makes an Extra Sensitive pad.

Are you wearing a bra with a layer of padding in it, or a thin one like a Bravado? The layer of padding on some bras is thick enough to absorb small leaks, so you might want to think about experimenting with that.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Ok, this might sound ridiculous, but when I feel a small let-down during the day between feedings, I reach in my bra and fold my nipples " up". It stops them from leaking. I do this while I'm nursing too when I feel my let-down to prevent the other side from dripping all over. This works unless I'm really full, and I've been able to do away with nursing pads. Ps, as far as pads go, I found the lansinoh ones to be the best in terms of showing through your clothes.

I find the disposable pads to be itchy, too. I've been thinking about making some with wool on the outside and a thin (like 1 layer of flannel or something) cotton on the inside, but I don't know how well it would work, because I can't find any wool. This would probably still show through, but I don't know if there is any compromise on not showing either milk or pads. Unless you could make a thin cotton layer that you just put under the disposable ones. Just brainstorming.

thanks for the suggestions. Yes I am using bravado bras, as I find them comfortable. I like that they go over my head instead of do up at the back or front. I can't get any new bras to try, as finances are tight.

Maybe its just one of those things I have to put up with either showing pads or showing milk. Thankfully I don't go out much.