Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: having trouble with a bottle

Default having trouble with a bottle

i've been exclusively breast-feeding my now 2 month old for the last two months. she's had a couple of bottles, but that was mostly in the first few weeks. i'm going back to work in a few weeks and i recently tried the bottle again and she will not have it. what can i do? clearly, i can't exclusively breast feed her---i'll be at work and she'll be in daycare. i've tried two different bottles and she just seems so confused. her mouth sort of contorts around the nipple but she doesn't actually latch. and when she does latch, she has a few strong sucks and then loses the latch and gets so frustrated that she starts crying hysterically. does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: having trouble with a bottle

My daughter wouldn't take a bottle. Luckily I don't work full-time. DH ended up having to spoon-feed her until she was old enough to handle a sippy cup.

This is obviously not practical in your situation. Day care would never do that, I'm sure. Have you tried different types of bottle and nipples, such as the BreastFlow? Some are designed to be more similar to suckling at a breast. I think there's even a brand called Closer to Nature (which always cracks me up.) I hope some others will chime in and say what kind of bottles/nipples work for them, but I would definitely try some different kinds.

Also, have you tried having another person give the bottle? Sometimes babies just won't take bottles from mama, because they know there's a boob right there and that's what they really want and know how to use. If you try leaving the room and having someone else try giving it to her, she might do better with it.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Try a different bottle. Have someone else give it. Babies usually won't take them from mom. You can cup feed a baby. I have done it a couple times; my third never was great with a bottle, and my fourth could not use a bottle.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

This is a stressful situation but I have never heard of a mom having to quit her job because baby simply would not eat. Not saying that would never happen, but in my experience this always works out one way or another.

I would suggest, that no matter what else you do, you or your caregiver practice paced bottle feeding, which allows baby to control the flow much more like they do when breastfeeding. It is a good way to bottle feed all babies but especially breastfed babies. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

The suggestion above about spoon or cup feeding is a really good one. If your caregiver is a bit open-minded and willing to learn a new skill, cup or spoon feeding can work quite well in the rare circumstance a baby steadfastly refuses bottles. If you would like more info on cup feeding let us know.

More articles on this situation:

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbseptoct94p152.html
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbjulaug98p112.html

http://www.llli.org/faq/bottle.html

I would also keep trying...daily. Have you tried the playtex drop ins with a LATEX nipple? Those have always worked nicely for my kiddos. The latex nipple is much softer than the silicone and some babies are more willing to accept them.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thank you for the advice. Someone else I know mentioned the latex nipple so I will try that. Ive been having either DH or my mom feed her and I leave the room. Today she did a bit better than yesterday. My heart just breaks for her when she starts crying hysterically from frustration. She generally a mellow baby so when she gets herself into hysterics I know she's really bothered :-(. I have faith that she'll get used to a bottle eventually. I'll look into the other bottles suggested above as well. Thanks again!

Try leaving the house altogether. Go out for a walk or a coffee or something. She may still know you are around even if you are not in the room.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).