Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need help.. newborn-9 days old.. i'm feeling helpless

Default Re: need help.. newborn-9 days old.. i'm feeling helpless

Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

i will def try the different positions. you have been very helpful and encouraging.

Glad to help, I was just reading over some of that info in the link and the stuff under the first article there, "am I making too much milk" sounds a lot like what maybe you are describing.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

i read through most of it. my milk doesn't spray.. but i do think it's too much, too fast for my little peanut. she has finally gone to sleep after 6 feedings in a matter of 3 hours.. so it wasn't too bad of a night.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmom64 View Post
    she wakes up after 3 hours and screams like i am starving her.
    I'm no expert and my DS is just 2 months but I wanted to say that he still does this on occasion too. But it was way worst at he beginning, and it's already better Hang in there!!!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Pumping is a very mixed blessing when oversupply or fast letdowns are a problem. On the one hand, if you pump before nursing baby may have an easier time, since there will be less milk in the breast and milk flow will be slower. But on the other hand, removing more milk than the baby needs means you either perpetuate or exacerbate the oversupply/fast letdown problem. That's why I think it makes good sense to stay away from the pump right now.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmom64 View Post
    i read online that it can help to pump when your milk is in overdrive. pumping once a day can help so baby isnt overwhelmed when she eats
    NO NO NO. Pumping with OALD worsens the letdown and increases the oversupply that usually accompanies OALD.

You can start the milk flowing with a pump or hand expression, then stop. Let the excess go into a towel and then latch baby. But, IMHO IME if you can avoid that, it's better to. Instead, try starting with the breast you ended with, as it might not be as fast, then switch. Try different postion.

The risk with pumping is moms get all excited about seeing all the milk, and they pump too much, prolonging the whole issue. Leave it alone, and it does go away.

I was actually told to pump after feedings to have more milk....but nobody ever told me it was not typical to pump 8-10 oz on top of nursing baby every hour. We almost didn't make it becaseu of that really bad bit of advice.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I would say that if you have oversupply issues, the pump can be good for reducing a bit of your engorgement and taking a little out before a feed so that the flow isn't too fast for baby. I have had oversupply with 3 babies now and I have done both of these and I did not find that it made my oversupply worse as long as I only pumped a small amount. Oversupply often goes hand in hand with fast let down, and this can make baby swallow a lot of air and so will need to be burped often otherwise the air can result in a big spit-up. By often I mean taking baby off the breast to burp and putting her back on. You can usually hear if baby is swallowing air.
    Hang in there!
    married to Ben 05/01/2004
    mama to 3 blessings:
    Ezra 03/01/2006
    Olivia 11/07/2008
    Eden 05/02/2012

9 days is so young. Hang in there. You're doing great and it will get easier.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135