Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Job Interview while pregnant

Default Job Interview while pregnant

I am almost 23 weeks pregnant and I definitely show in most clothes. Some I can hide it and make it questionable. I am interviewing for a job tomorrow that I really want not to mention NEED. (Currently I work part time and DH is unemployed, though seeking). Problem is, the job is temp for 10 weeks, then hired permanent. I am unsure to bring it up in the interview or after. I figure if it's obvious I should address it and make the company aware of my plan. I wouldn't have the baby until well after the 10 week period, but by then there will be no doubt I am pregnant. I feel I should be up front and honest about it. I know I don't have to, but I'm scared it will hurt me either way. Please help! Thanks!
    Amanda

Wife to Steven 29 Oct 07
    DD1: Zoey 28 Oct 2009
    (Self weaned at 2 years)

DD2: Hayley 18 Oct 2012
    (My latest nursling)

Default Re: Job Interview while pregnant

I'm not sure I can be much help. I was laid off 5 months pregnant and knew I couldn't do the whole interview thing. But, I had gotten that job pregnant with my first, although I didn't find out until after I signed the contract. I waited until 16 weeks to tell them. A good friend interviewed for teaching positions pregnant. She just assured them she was coming back after having the baby and that she did not intend on quitting. My husband hired someone who didn't say anything and she wasn't quite showing, but was about 3-4 months when she interviewed. He was pretty upset that she wasn't upfront about it. Although he might not have hired her because there was already a team member pregnant and another already on maternity leave.

I'm just rambling. I think you have to feel out the situation and do what makes you most comfortable. Legally you are under no obligation to bring it up and they can't ask. But I'm with you, I like to be up front.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Agree with the previous poster. This is tricky.
    I got my current role (albeit at the same company) when 12-16 weeks pregnant with twins, I could barely hide it. But I did, and when I got the job offer I told my boss. I don't think she was happy at all, but I wasn't going to say anything while interviewing because they could (illegally) discriminate.
    However, you are farther along and probably noticeable and IMO if you are not upfront about it that may prevent you from getting the job. however you may still not get the job.
    If I were in your shoes, I would tell them, talk about timing and how you can fill 10 weeks, your availaiblity/flexibility/desire to work, plans to return to work after you have the baby if they are looking for a permanent hire, etc.
    Good luck, this is not an easy position to be in!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I interviewed when I was pg with my first baby. I could have easily hidden it, but I chose not to. I didn't want to deal with the fallout of having a brand new boss pissed off at me for not being up front. I brought it up at the end of the interview.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

in my field (academia) i almost think it's to your advantage to interview visibly pregnant ... everyone is afraid of appearing as if they've discriminated. my dept hired someone who was maybe 6 months pregnant at her interview in november ... the job was to start in september, and she negotiated a leave so she didn't start til january. i'm not certain, but probably that was unpaid leave, since at my new job i won't be eligible for paid parental leave til after 12 months.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I understand your stress--I have experienced this with both of my pregnancies. I will have to respectfully disagree with @auderey about academia; I definitely understand your point but there are many institutions that are horribly stuck in their ways and since being out for a few months effectively means being out a whole term, I've seen folks get very up in arms about maternity leave and hiring.

OP, first question: are you sure that you are obviously pregnant--like strangers in the grocery store coming up to pat your belly pregnant? Or obvious to people who know you but just big around the middle to others? A looser fitting top with a long cardigan and a long shawl or scarf around your neck would likely camouflage your bump.

Anyway, with my first pregnancy, I told the Dept head after they made me a verbal offer because I had worked with him and others in the dept previously. So it would have seemed more secretive since we were already friendly AND I was reasonably certain that they would take it well. He was fine with it--actually immediately congratulated me--but confirmed my concern about potential discrimination when he followed that with 'let's not tell anyone else until you have a signed contract'.

The second time I did not notify them until I was on the job (which started when I was about as far along as you). I had a small baby bump during my interview but was easily covered to strangers by a long scarf under my jacket. I really wanted the job and if they ended up wanting to hire me based on my qualifications, I was not willing to risk the potential of pregnancy discrimination by disclosing.

Personally, if *I* were you, I would go all flowy and layered with my clothes and not mention it in the interview. If they offer you the job, then I might tell them at that point or possibly wait until I started.

If you don't tell until after you start and it turns out to be a huge issue for them, then I would imagine that they will find a reason to let you go after the 10 wk temp period. Which would still suck and be discriminatory but at least you would have 10 wks of pay--which it sounds like you really need--and if it were a problem, you would likely know and be able to keep looking for something else during those 10 wks.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

It's definitely tricky. You are absolutely within your rights not to mention it, as they are not allowed to consider it in hiring you anyway! When the pregnancy can be hidden, mentioning it puts the employer in the difficult position of hearing something they can't actually consider anyway. When it can't be hidden, it's still not really their business. But it would be flippant to say that just because something can't be used against you legally, it won't be. Those laws wouldn't need to exist if workplace discrimination wasn't very, very real. And some bosses will be pretty upset if this is kept a secret. Still, that's wrong on their part, not yours.

So I think I agree with Ali. I'd try to hide it a bit, and see how the interview goes. If it goes great, you may decide to mention it. If not, nothing lost. If you really are obviously showing, it might be best to just gently and casually mention it at the end of the interview. Not as a work-related thing, but as a casual thing. I don't think you are in any way obligated to discuss your maternity leave plans.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mima View Post
    I understand your stress--I have experienced this with both of my pregnancies. I will have to respectfully disagree with @auderey about academia; I definitely understand your point but there are many institutions that are horribly stuck in their ways and since being out for a few months effectively means being out a whole term, I've seen folks get very up in arms about maternity leave and hiring.
    fair enough - i'm lucky enough to be in a very woman-friendly field, and in universities where the normal maternity leave IS a full term.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.