Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical Emergency, must pump and dump... need help

Exclamation Medical Emergency, must pump and dump... need help

I went into the ER this morning and was diagnosed with kidney stones. the medication they gave me is not compatible while BFing. I have to pump and dump for 72 hours (until Saturday night). I'm afraid this is going to hinder my supply...anyone have any advice on how I can keep my supply up? How often should I pump? Please help.

Default Re: Medical Emergency, must pump and dump... need help

I'm sorry about the kidney stones! Ouch!!!

How old is your baby?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Contact the Infant Risk center (http://www.infantrisk.com/) for a definitive answer on the meds. Often moms are told that they must take their babies off the breast when the medication in question is actually perfectly safe.

If you must pump and dump, you want to use a good pump, particularly if you have not pumped or have pumped very little previous to this. If you don't have a pump, a hospital-grade rental might be a good choice since you need it for just 72 hours. I'd call the hospital and your local LCs and ask if they have one available on very short notice. Aim to pump at least as often as your baby nurses. At a minimum, pump every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3-4 at night. If you can produce at least 1-1.5 oz per hour, you should be able to maintain production at around the right level.

Don't get too scared about 72 hours of pumping. As long as your baby is willing to nurse, demand feeding alone will get your supply where it needs to be even if your supply does take a hit.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She is 8 weeks old.

Thank you ladies

I have had to pump because of returning to work, I have a really nice "hospital grade" pump that I received from WIC.

you should be fine, then. but definitely do call infantrisk for personalized help; it's possible you won't have to pump & dump.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

ER docs know next to nothing about breastfeeding and medications. They tell you to pump and dump as a CYA measure. The ER docs here told me the same thing, but infantrisk, the hospital pharmacist, and every other doctor in the hospital once I was admitted told me I was fine to nurse on my meds.

Call infantrisk, they are the experts and are very helpful.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I had to call our pediatrician for another matter and asked her about the meds and she said I was fine after 24 hrs! So glad I called her!! I have never. Heard of infant risk before, good # to have thanks! Feels great to BF again!

Good! Yes, it's so much easier to just nurse! Glad it worked out so well.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

- way easier to nurse!

Glad you're back to BF. Hope you're feeling better soon too!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).