Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huge intake at weigh in- 9 ounces!!

Default Re: Huge intake at weigh in- 9 ounces!!

I think the hardest part about breastfeeding and motherhood is to trust yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I had oversupply and Joe was a really great nurser and gained weight quickly. Given that I could often pump 10 oz in a sitting, I would not have been the least bit surprised if he sometimes took in 8 oz in 3 hours. However, that tended to be only at certain times of day (morning). He gained well and was very healthy, but when I went to work for 9 hours a day, I left him about 12 oz, which is well within the range of normal intake, and he was totally fine.
    I think this describes our situation pretty well too. I could pump 8-10 ounces easily, and I wouldn't have been surprised if my son would drink close to that much from time to time (he did spit up a ton and was a little poop factory). However, I really doubt he was drinking that much all the time.

My son only took 3 ounce bottles until he was well over a year, even though I had significant OS and an OALD that generated an impressive spray for a good 15 months. I also never left more than 1.5 ounces per hour I was gone, and it was never a problem.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thank you so much for all your responses. I am a worrier and my son's reflux just make me over worry.

His reflux has gotten so much better that I forget that he still suffers. We have been transitioning back to the crib because he us frankly getting a bit big for the rock and play which is elevated. He seems ok during the day with naps in the crib but is waking up much more frequently in the crib.

I have been re introducing side lying but he seems to reflux after we finish. Any suggestions on side lying for a reflux baby or should I just wait until he is all better?

Have you tried laid back nursing? That might be easier on the reflux than side lying.

I have but he seems to smoosh my breast and while it feels ok for the first few days, I get sore afterwards.

If your baby is still having trouble with side lying nursing, then it might be worth it to play around with different laid back positions. Recline a little less or a little more. Put your baby in different positions on your chest and stomach. It took a lot of tweaking for us to find something that worked.