Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge intake at weigh in- 9 ounces!!

Default Huge intake at weigh in- 9 ounces!!

Hi, I went to a breastfeeding support group today with a ILBLC who is well regarded. We weighed the babies with a clean diaper before feeding and post feeding.

My son took in 6.8 ounces! He is a huge baby. 18 pounds at 12 weeks. He was 7.7 at birth.

Then in 45 minutes he wanted to eat again and took in another 1.2 ounces. That is 9 ounces in the course of a few hours. Isn't this not good? How is he able to eat this much if his stomach is fist sized and tiny?

When I go back to work, the LC said that he will need about the same amount. I have been offering one side only and only offering the other when he gets grabby or upset. This is pretty recently. He rarely unlatches on his own so that is not a good indicator that he is done.

How else do I tell that he has had enough? Is he taking in way too much? And do I really need to provide 7-8 ounces per feeding when I am back at work??

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Huge intake at weigh in- 9 ounces!!

I wouldn't go off just one weight check. I'd do an average. And no, I would not send 8 oz per feeding.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Don't base any conclusions off of one data point! When I was having issues with nursing, I did a weigh-feed-weigh test at the LC's office and my LO had a great (for her) feed: 1.5 oz. But then I took the scale home, did a couple of days' worth of measurements, and discovered that her average feed was more like 0.7 oz. It's quite possible that your LO's average feed is much closer to average than what you saw today.

It sounds like your baby is certainly capable of taking in larger amounts, so I would be careful about what you send to daycare. Make sure you break the amounts down into several small bottles rather than putting it all in one large one, so that your care providers are subtly encouraged not to fill your baby's tummy all the way up using a huge bottle and then reach for another huge bottle when he's hungry an hour later.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Do you suggest I rent a scale? How is he able to hold so much milk? Isn't it physically impossible?

Stomachs stretch, so it's possible that your LO really did eat nearly seven oz at a sitting. Babies do sometimes eat that much, sometimes even more. By the time he took in the additional 1.5 oz, though, his tummy had probably emptied out somewhat. So I wouldn't imagine that the entire 9 oz was sloshing around in there at one time.

I would not bother renting a scale. They are great tools for moms whose babies are having trouble getting enough to eat- and that clearly isn't an issue for your LO! Just start out with sending the usual 1.5 oz per hour to daycare, and see what happens. If he needs mode, the daycare providers will notice and they will be telling you to send more milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

sb I am curious what led you to take your baby to the support group, and why the IBCLC did a before and after weight check in the first place-was she doingthese for everyone who was there? That seems odd. Such checks are one slightly controversial diagnostic tool to ascertain if a baby is taking in enough milk, and as far as I know are typically only done when the concern is baby is not getting enough at the breast-so, when a baby is not gaining well, which does not describe your baby. And yes even then they are limited in what they reveal-it is simply a snapshot of that one nursing session. (or in your case, two separate nursing sessions-I would call that two sessions, despite being close together.) Looking at it that way, taken independantly, the first session intake-almost 7 ounces, is large, but the second is normal or on the low side, depending on the age of your baby. But this does not mean that either session was good or bad compared to the other, or revealed any issues that you need to be concerned about at all! To me, this experience simply demonstrates how dramatically nursing sessions can differ and why before and after weight checks can be extremely unreliable in measuring overall milk intake.

Do you have oversupply and/or forceful letdown? Baring scale or measurement error, or perhaps that it had been a very long time since the previous nursing session, I would suspect os/ffld as an explanation for the first session showing an unusually large intake of breastmilk. And in that case, I have NEVER heard that there is concern that baby is "taking too much." SOME (not all) babies object to forceful letdown while at the breast, or have difficulty handling the flow, may cough, gag, spit up more than usual, or have gastrointestinal issues (green poops, explosive poops) due to it. In those cases, if the forceful letdown or the oversupply is causing baby or mom distress, it may be appropriate to take measures to help baby handle the flow and, in some (but not all) cases, to reduce your supply via block nursing. But this does not mean to nurse baby any less overall, in fact that is the last thing you want to do. Nor does it indicate that you would need to feed baby an unusually large amount when bottle feeding. While it’s an interesting idea, I have NEVER heard of using before and after weight check results to ascertain how much milk a breastfed baby needs in a bottle. If you have concerns about how to estimate that, check out the article linked below. Frankly I cannot believe an IBCLC suggested you would have to feed your breastfed baby close to 10 ounce bottles during separations- that is simply poor advice under any circumstances and I hope you misunderstood her. With your permission I am happy to ask some IBCLCs I know about this…

How much milk will my baby need: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

FYI: Overabundant milk production and forceful letdown: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

The before and after feeding weigh ins were happening to everyone. I think most if not all the women were dealing wih babies who had issues gaining weight or are having low milk supply issues. I went because I wanted to have her review the latch. He is gaining well but I am still a bit sore.

If I add it up, he took in 8 ounces (not 9 sorry) over the course of about 3 hours. The first one was close to 7 and it had been probably about 3 hours and my breasts were pretty full. I do have a huge supply and OALD in my left breast. He used to not be able to handle it and would choke in the beginning (but just moved on) but now that he is bigger he can handle it.

I guess I was just very surprised by his intake though I suspected he took in a pot given my milk supply and his rapid weight gain. I think the LC was just saying that he is able to handle a large volume of milk and not to be concerned that he is overeating.

It does make me confused about how much milk he will take when we put him in daycare. He loves breastmilk and is a big boy. I have just been concerned that he is eating too much (though he doesn't seem uncomfortable and doesn't throw up). He also has silent reflux by he is doing much better and that has almost gone away.

I think my concern is that on average most babies take in 4-5 ounces and I didn't think it was possible for such a small stomach to process 7 ounces. He did do a big poop in the middle so maybe he cleared out room?
    Last edited by @llli*sb; June 14th, 2012 at 11:24 AM.

Ha ha I first thought your said he did such a big poop it cleared the room. I have no idea about the poop (maks sense I guess) but I really do not think you have anything to worry about. Your baby is healthy and gaining.

Again your baby will not need more (or at least, not much more) milk at day care because he is big. He will also not need more milk as he gets older-the amount a breastfed or breastmilk fed baby needs stays the same from about a month on. Look at the kellymom calculator. I would only suggest that her daily estimate may be on the low side for some babies, according to other sources some babies over a month old may need up to 35 ounces per 24 hour day.

Make sure your caregiver knows how to feed the breastfed baby (see link below) and leave bottles or bags with small amounts in them to prevent overfeeding or waste-so, if you figure baby needs 15 ounces over the time you are gone, leave it in five 3 ounce containers rather than three 5 ounce perhaps.

see: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Well sometimes his poops do clear a room! Thanks again for your help. I think the hardest part about breastfeeding and motherhood is to trust yourself. I know he is doing well but when I read stuff or listen to others, I doubt what I am doing.

I had oversupply and Joe was a really great nurser and gained weight quickly. Given that I could often pump 10 oz in a sitting, I would not have been the least bit surprised if he sometimes took in 8 oz in 3 hours. However, that tended to be only at certain times of day (morning). He gained well and was very healthy, but when I went to work for 9 hours a day, I left him about 12 oz, which is well within the range of normal intake, and he was totally fine.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.