Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having a hard time getting baby to burp...

Default Having a hard time getting baby to burp...

I have such a hard time getting my 10 day old to burp during or after feedings. is there a trick to burping breastfed babies? or do they not need to burp as much as bottle fed babies?

Default Re: Having a hard time getting baby to burp...

congratulations!

if baby's not uncomfortable, don't worry about it - i never burped mine. and he only spit up maybe a half dozen times. maybe you're as lucky as i was!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I never burped my kids. They preferred to let any gas out at the other end of their digestive systems.

And yes, breastfed babies often require less burping than bottle-fed ones.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

no burping neccesary unless it's neccesary, and that will usually be pretty obvious.

I guess I did not get lucky then My baby will burp at least once during eating on the same breast. She is a gassy baby though and she will burp a few times while not even eating.......I agree you will be able to tell. My daughter gets really wiggly she will pull on the breast while still eating or she will un latch but want to latch again but un latch right away. I know then she needs to burp.

My first rarely needed to burp, so like PPs said, your may just not need it. If baby seems comfortable, not spitting up, etc., then I wouldn't worry. My second baby is pretty gassy though and needs to burp at least once--usually in the middle of the feeding session--he will start getting fussy and pop on and off the breast. I've found the best way to burp him is having him sitting up, supporting his jaw with one hand (before he could hold his head up on own) and patting his lower back (not up high between the shoulder blades).
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

My babies needed burped. I would lay them over my other hand and pat their back, seemed like the best position to get a burp out of an itty bitty.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Usually bouncing him on my knee gets a burp. Or sitting him on my lap, suppoingrt his chin with one hand and rubbing the other hand upwards along his back. Both of those ways kind of get any air bubbles traveling upwards. But if I don't get a burp right away, there usually is nothing coming up, so I don't try for very long.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12