Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did YOUR baby's journey with solids proceed?

Default How did YOUR baby's journey with solids proceed?

Hello LLL Ladies!

I'm the proud mama of a robust nearly 8-month-old son who has been EBF/EBF + solids to this point. He is in excellent health and spirits at 30" and almost 19lbs and seems to tackle a new milestone daily. Phew. I'm amazed I have 2 minutes to type out this post.

In a nutshell, our solids journey is as follows
    :

• EBF to 6.75 months. We are now EBF + solids.

• Philosophy: Blend of BLS and purees, as dictated by son's interest. Food is to taste and enjoy and doesn't carry additional baggage (e.g. punishment, praise, bribes)

• Foods eaten/licked (ha ha!): Butternut squash, green zucchini, carrots, green peas, egg yolk, sweet potato, quinoa, red delicious apple, and extra-virgin olive oil (next up: avocado, banana, roasted red pepper, turkey breast, and home-made rice cereal)

• DS' attitude: Gobbled down his first-ever serving of solids, butternut squash. Since then, he's been blase. The only exception was when my baked apples received an excited "Yay!!" and arms up in the air like football goal posts last night.

• Quantity consumed: 1 micro-bite (varies by mood) up to 1 Tbsp (apple)

• Dining atmosphere: Relaxed. Usually 1 meal per day offered after BFing and approx. 1-2 hours before bed. If the day is a "fussy" one, I will either forego solids altogether or offer them at lunch.

Reassurance please!

• Due to his good health and hearty BFing, I'm not concerned with "too little" solids at this point. Am I in good company?

• Satiety cues-- how to discern? My son will close his eyes and wrinkle his nose even when self-feeding a food he clearly loves, like home-made baked apples. I'lladmit I'm having difficulty knowing when to stop pushing food. As a result, my philosophy has been to err on the side of conservatism by making food available to him to self-feed in the absence of a clear "no" following a spoon feeding attempt.

• Etiquette -- DS has a well-developed pincer grasp, but often prefers to use it to play with his food rather than eat it. Boiled carrots succumb to gravity at an alarming rate in our house. I choose to see this as hilarious and a good opportunity to learn about food in a low-pressure environment. Please reassure me that my child won't be throwing spaghetti at waiters in two years time if we follow this laid back approach.

More importantly, how did YOUR lo's journey to solids proceed? Please feel free to be as detailed or concise as you like and include any age you want!

Thanks all!

Alpha.
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; June 13th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Default Re: How did YOUR baby's journey with solids proceed?

Reassurance: until around the first birthday, all baby needs is breastmilk (or formula)- so says my pediatrician. After the first birthday, the baby may continue to be predominantly breastfed until well into the second year, since it's not like a baby goes from needing nothing but milk on day 364 and a ton of solid food on day 365. Therefore, "until one, solids just for fun", which means that baby should be allowed to touch, taste, eat, lick, squish, and poke his solids as much as he wants, but it doesn't matter if he actually swallows them. In short, it sounds like your baby is doing just fine with solids, and I wouldn't worry for a moment.

I never did anything much about table manners until around the first birthday, and what I did was mostly to discourage throwing, splattering, and food being put where food should not go. (Petit pois up the nose, anyone?)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Joe was quite late to get interested in solids. He didn't eat much of anything until well after his first birthday. Before that, the most he'd do is taste things and make a mess. He's a big, strong, tank of a kid, though, so it clearly didn't set him back!

I've been working on manners as it's become clear to me that Joe is ready, and not before. So initially, it was just to discourage throwing food. Then we started working on holding a cup, etc. As his capabilities increased, he enjoyed learning to use a fork, now a napkin, etc. But that all happened well after his first birthday.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Mommal, joesmom: thank you both for your quick replies and reassuring (and entertaining!) words. To sum things up, I feel like my role re: solids is to make a variety of delicious, healthy foods available at this stage and to model healthy eating in my own nutrition.

Incidentally, I won't be throwing spaghetti at any waiters, either!

Oh, and joesmom, congrats on Baby #2 on the way!

There are some really good detailed threads here about BSL specifically. I am going to bump them.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks djsmom! I appreciate the bumps.

Did you look at them?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alphawoman View Post
    Please reassure me that my child won't be throwing spaghetti at waiters in two years time if we follow this laid back approach.
    It's OK, sometimes the waiters deserve it

@djsmom: yes, thanks again!