Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lentils and meats

Question Lentils and meats

DD3 is 7.5 mo and started with BLS about 2 weeks ago, I started giving her pieces of avocado and then sweet potato. Unfortunately for her, she's baby number 3 so I'm lazier now.
    Today I cooked lentils for the rest of the family and I don't want to cook anything else, it's hot ouside! Can I give her lentils without blending them? They seem to be so small but I'm not sure if I can just offer it to her with a spoon without blending them first.

Another question, someone mentioned a good starter food is boiled chicken, how do you suggest I give it to her? I mean, would you give the breast or the thigh? Would you give it as a whole or cut into strings?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Default Re: Lentils and meats

I never blended lentils. They are tiny. I just put a little pile in front off my son and let him have at it.

I shredded chicken, pulling it apart with my fingers. I gave roasted chicken because that is what I usually make (I boil the carcass when we're done for broth). I usually gave my son the dark meat. It is fattier and more moist so it pulls apart easily.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

If you think the lentils are too hard for your LO to chew, try just mashing them with a fork.

with the PP regarding chicken. I started with chicken from a soup, so it was literally shredding apart in the pot because it had boiled so long.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Well, I tried the lentils and she's either not ready for solids yet or was too tired. She threw a huge fit hahaha

Thanks again!

if you have meat on the bone, you can also give the bone to baby to hang on to and gnaw (after most of the meat has been removed).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks I'll try that!

I haven't tried lentils yet, but as far as chicken goes, I handed my LO (8 months) a drumstick the other night and he loved it! Sucked on it like crazy and got some into his mouth and, I believe, down his throat (most of what goes into his mouth still gets spit out at this point ). He doesn't have any teeth yet but seemed to manage okay. He did get a piece of cartilage from the end that I hadn't thought to remove so I'll be sure to remove that first next time.