Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ??? Nursing necklace???

Default ??? Nursing necklace???

What is a nursing necklace..? I know that it is supposed to be used to help keep the LO focused so they aren't trying to looking every which way while nursing. But what are they made out of, is there anything to avoid, how many beads, what size and material, what kind of string is used..??? I've never seen one before and only recently heard of them. I'm going to look them up but I was told that many moms make their own. I'm not to crafty so any details would very appreciated.

Thanks!
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: ??? Nursing necklace???

You can Google nursing necklace to get some ideas. I think you can buy them on Etsy and some other sites. I made my own. I used a silk cord because it is strong and unlikely to break. I strung thick color lined glass beads. I found some that came in different shapes with different textures (ribbed, fluted, etc.). Some are solid, striped, sparkly, etc. This gave my baby lots of different designs and textures to see and feel while he nursed. He still likes to study them sometimes even now at 19 months.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Also, I would avoid painted beads and anything with lead in it (e.g. some alloys like certain pewters, some glass, crystal - although the lead is pretty fixed into crystal, I just don't like to knowingly have lead around my baby).
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I bought one made of two large rings of wood on a black cord on Etsy, I think. I rarely use it for nursing, as it ended up distracting my LO too much (she wanted to stop nursing and look at it all the time!) but it's made a great teether that she can't throw on the ground when we're out and about. Just be careful so they don't pull too hard, because that hurts.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I thought I wanted one but we did OK just pulling off one of her socks and letting her hold that when she needed something to touch.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Here ya go:

Of course there are lots of different kinds, but this is typical of one.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I just used to wear one of my regular chunky plastic beaded necklaces and switch it to a different color every once in a while. Never ended up needing to get a specially designed one.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

The problem with 'normal' jewelry is that the beads may not be appropriate for baby to have in their mouth, could break if they bite them, dyes, glues, etc. You wouldn't want to risk something dangerous in their mouths or something that could be a choking hazard. Which is why when Momma's found they couldn't get their little ones to let go of their jewelry, they decided to make something safe!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Good reminder; mine never tried to put it in her mouth--just needed something to occupy her hands a bit (that wasn't mama's hair or lips--ouch!)

OP, sounds like there's a big variety available depending on what your LO's particular distractibilities are.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12