Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle feeding by daycare while at work - how much?

Default Bottle feeding by daycare while at work - how much?

Hi Ladies,

I have gotten GREAT advice from this board, so I thought I would come here once again for my question.

My daughter goes to daycare during the week, she is 5 months old. I went back to work 2 weeks ago so we are starting to get the hang of it! I pump 3 times when I am at work, and while my output varied the first week, now we are settling onto about 12-13.5 oz per day (8 AM to 5 PM).

Here is our schedule:

I nurse my daughter once during the night, once in the AM (around 6-6:30). Then I pump around 9:30, 12:30 and 3:30, with a 1/2 hour leeway, depending on meetings that I may have. Then I nurse again around 6-6:30 and then for the last time around 9 PM until she wakes up in the middle of the night.

My question is the following:

The daycare staff is saying that she could take another 1-2 oz (on top of the 12 I am sending, I send three 4 oz bottles, and she is there from around 7:30 to 5). She gets all 3 bottles plus oatmeal/fruit combo once during the day. My Mother-in-law watches her 2 days a week and said the same thing. . .but I can't rely on her because she completely overfed my husband when he was a baby (saw some pictures!)

I am thinking that 12 oz plus the oatmeal is definitely enough for her during the day. She is away from me for 9-9.5 hours during the day.

I dont' mind supplementing with 1-2 oz if necessary but I just don't know they are overfeeding her. She is in the 50th percentile for height and weight, so average size for her age.

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

Default Re: Bottle feeding by daycare while at work - how much?

Daycares are notorious overfeeders. They take any fussy cue as a hungry cue. 12 oz has always been fine for my boys AND is alined with the 1-1.5 oz per hour gone rule of thumb. The only suggestion I have other than reviewing with them how to bottle feed a BF baby is to make 4 3oz bottles, she'd get the same total amount but they may FEEL like they feed her more often.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks Jenna.

And just to clarify, I know that the recommendation is no solids before 6 months. I just felt that my daughter was ready and she really does enjoy the experience of eating. I give an extremely small amount (like a teaspoon) and only once a day. I will continue like this until about 6 mo when I will give a little bit more. I understand that most of their nutrition should come from breastmilk.

Ok good! Remember also that BM changes composition so as baby ages your milk changes to provide what they need at that time. A DCP will often be used to increasing formula as baby ages because that is the way to get more calories in a FF baby.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Have you given this to your mom or daycare? Lots of good tips for limiting overfeeding and risk of nipple confusion: Bottle feeding the breastfed baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Kellymom has a milk calculator to figure roughly what baby will need during separations. I think it is very helpful, but just FYI it is based on a 25 oz intake per day average, and other sources suggest babies can need between 25-35 oz per day after a month old, depending on the baby. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/