Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleep-nursing a lot, not nursing as much in the daytime

Default Sleep-nursing a lot, not nursing as much in the daytime

My 3-month old sleeps with me at night. This has been working for us for many reasons, including that we both get a lot more sleep and he's a lot happier during the day. He has now gotten so used to sleep-nursing that I think he's eating a lot more overnight and not eating as much during the day. He only eats for very short periods during the day. How normal is it for an EBF baby to get a lot of his feeding done overnight, and should I be worried about what this means for the future?

Default Re: Sleep-nursing a lot, not nursing as much in the daytime

Do you work outside of the home?

Its not uncommon for babies to start nursing quicker at this age. So it may not be that he is eating less during the day, but finishing quicker than before. At night they sort of lazy nurse and latch on and off. How are his wet diapers during the day?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

As long as diaper output and weight gain are normal, so are fast feedings. Night nursing is normal for all babies, but it can be a drain on mom. If it's getting you down, I suggest checking out Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for some gentle techniques which may help baby sleep longer and more independently.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

if the night-nursing doesn't bother you (and it sounds like it doesn't), there's nothing wrong with it. and it doesn't mean anything about the future - patterns change all the time!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks everyone!

I don't work outside the home right now, but I'll be returning to work part-time in mid-August. It makes sense that he's just more efficient now and that's why he doesn't eat as long during the day.

He has plenty of pee diapers, I think - usually around 5-6 a day.

Right now I'm good with the night-nursing, I usually don't have trouble sleeping while he nurses and I like the closeness of it. I have read Pantley's book though and might eventually try some of her suggestions when he's older.

For now, I think it sounds like things are good! I appreciate the help

Sounds like its working for you and may be a benefit to you when you return to work. A lot of babies do end up "Reverse cycling" when Mama goes to work because its a chance to bond and connect after a day apart. My kiddos nursed a lot at night and I adjusted by getting myself to bed earlier and attempting to nap when they nap (easier said than done once the second child arrived).
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)