Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Talk to me about comfort nursing

Post Talk to me about comfort nursing

As most of you know, I have been dealing with OS/OALD for the last 7 months, and still am. DD is refusing much less now but still choking, but she deals with it in her own way most of the time! She has always been a sucky baby, I do not want to give her a pacifier a's I think that it will confuse things with OS. She tends to nurse to sleep and nap and stays latched whilst asleep to comfort nurse (quite often choking on a let down whilst asleep). However she is teething badly right now and seems to be less interested in actively nursing and more interested in comfort nursing, this is really difficult to do on me if it doesn't follow an active nursing session as she cannot do this without getting much more milk than she wants. She tries to bend my nipple upwards (which doesn't hurt) and almost tries to stop the milk, she gets very fussy, but eventually falls asleep and then usually chokes! At the end of this comfort session my boob usually feels softer (although i am not covinced that she really wanted the milk but think she just takes it n order to comfort) but not as soft as with an active feed. I am bit confused, I usually do one side per feed and I am not sure whether I would count the comfort nursing as a feed? Should I still swap Sides at the next nursing? Should I always offer the fullest? I would be grateful of your thoughts and if anyone can share their experiences of comfort nursing and what they did. Because of my OS/OALD it is difficult to know what someone would normally do! Thanks.

Default Re: Talk to me about comfort nursing

Well, I have a 7mo who also still sometimes chokes on an overactive letdown. Due to a combination of his weight, wiggliness and the oald, we almost exclusively do side-lying. So if he has one of these mini nursings, where it's not really long or whatever, the next time I just use whichever breast it is more convenient to me to use. Whether due to fullness or how my back feels, or whatever. But he doesn't really ever just comfort nurse without first eating, whether by choice or necessity, I don't know. I guess he really only comfort nurses once already asleep, and I think mostly so I can't sneak off. :P

If you are tying to block feed to some extent, stop thinking about feedins and think about time. So, say, for the afternoon, ony offer one side over and over and over. Then switch. If she ants to comfort nurse, this will help her too.

Sorry for typos. Crazy kids distracting me.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for sharing what you do Rakoonz. I am not really block feeding now Aprilsmagic, just doing one side per feed generally. When I block feed, my let down seems stronger and DD doesn't cope so well. Did 12hr blocks for quite a while but it didn't have a major impact on my supply, my boobs just seemed to adapt to it. I did it more so that DD could cope better with the flow from about the 3rd feed on the same side, however, when I swapped sides, she got so much foremilk so fast that she would writhe around for hours afterwards. If I do shorter blocks and go by time it ends up often that the swap is due just as she wants to comfort nurse. It would be easy if I knew whether at each nursing session, she wanted comfort or food! Doing one feed per side seems to work and she copes in her own way,but I get confused as to which side to offer next when she has what seems to be just a comfort session, she ends up with quite a lot of milk but does not actively suck so it is not like a full feed. The boob feels softer but quite often feels about the same as the other side when she next wants to nurse. Should your boob always feel REALLY empty before you swap sides? I f the answer is yes, then I would go on forever on one side as it refills by the next feed! Would be good to hear what others do! Thanks.