Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having so many issues, need a ton of help VERY LONG

Default Re: Having so many issues, need a ton of help VERY LONG

When you have oversupply & overactive letdown very often your baby can nurse super fast and be plenty full. My baby nursed just a few minutes on one breast and would be finished, and he got really fat (rolls over rolls over rolls style fat). I know it is unnerving at first, but if weight gain and diaper output are good then you need to trust that your baby is getting enough from these short nursing sessions. You can keep an eye on diapers and offer to nurse more frequently if they drop off, but it really doesn't sound like that is and issue at all.

with PP, the amounts that you are pumping indicate oversupply. Stop pumping. That will only make things worse. Pumping aggravates oversupply and overactive letdown.

Try nursing in a reclined position. You don't need to know when your letdown occurs for that to work. I think it is potentially more effective than most of the other tricks out there for overactive letdown too. I didn't feel a letdown either early on, but I definitely had issues due to overactive letdown.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

So I tried doing some of the tricks for the too much supply that I read in the articles and from everyone's suggestions. When I tried the reclining position with her on top of me trying to nurse she screamed at the top of her lungs the entire time and would not settle. I also tried to do "block feeding" and that didn't seem to work. As soon as I put her down after feeding she started screaming again and sucking on her blanket. I am also really concerned that I cannot hear her swallow. At the last feeding she spent 25 minutes on the right side and I think I maybe heard 5 swallows. She just seems so hard to please and my nipples are starting to get really sore. :-/

I didn't always hear a lot of swallowing either (even though sometimes there was gulping and choking). It can be really hard to tell what is swallowing and what is not. I think with OALD, sometimes that "flutter sucking" that isn't supposed to be active sucking is enough to get milk. I swear my son didn't seem to be actively sucking much of the time, but he was packing on serious weight.

Your baby is making plenty of diapers - she MUST be getting milk. Input is the only way that kind of output can happen. Her weight gain has been good too, right? If so then you really need to stop worrying so much about the swallowing.

Block feeding can take awhile to work. Also, if you are pumping then that will negate the block feeding. Stop pumping or things will NOT get better.

Try reclining less. Or more. Try putting her in different positions on your chest and stomach. I had to sort of lower my baby onto the nipple when we first began nursing reclined.

Try nursing in a side lying position. That can help too if nursing reclined just doesn't work.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.