Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I Do Something?

Question Should I Do Something?

I'm not sure whether I should be concerned, or if there's anything I can do about this?

DS:
    4/13 Birth weight = 7 lb 13 oz (20 in)
    4/16 3 days old = 7 lb 3 oz *+
    4/18 weight check = 7 lb 8 oz *
    *same scale
    4/26 13 days old = 8 lb 1 oz (22 in) +
    +same scale
    6/13 Two months = 9 lb 2.9 oz (23 in)

[4/16 & 4/18 was weighed by LC; 4/16 & 4/26 was weighed in Well Baby Clinic)

So, now he's in 14% for weight and 87% for length (and 69% for head size). They're having us go in in 3 weeks for a weight check.

Despite "watch the baby and not the clock" I do track everything---and I mean everything---on an app on my iPod, mainly so I can get a better sense of any emerging patterns, and he's feeding 8-12 times a day (I do cue nurse) plus what he gets in the evening while I'm at work (5-7 oz BM) with never less than 6 wet nappies and never less than 2 poops.

I've just been able to get him to take good naps in the morning and early afternoon; but of course when he naps like this he's not eating every 2 hours (usually 3). Should I be waking him? I will if I need to, he just is usually so sleepy that he falls asleep right away anyways, and he seems to eat really well after he wakes up (when he wakes up hungry).

Also...we're still using a shield.

Is it time for an "intervention" (pro help) or should I just offer the breast more...or not worry at all??? He's healthy otherwise, meeting his milestones, good neck and head control, smiling, making sounds, tracking, etc.
    Last edited by @llli*raejoy; June 13th, 2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: ETA: fixing footnotes
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Default Re: Should I Do Something?

I'm on my phone so it's difficult to check the growth chart myself, but the weight gain doesn't look so bad at a glance. She's gaining, and that's good. Is she dropping percentiles or something? Have you been using the WHO growth charts? In and of itself 14% weight isn't an issue. If weight has dropped percentiles very rapidly then I could see why there might be some concern, but I'm not sure that's the case. Some babies are just long and narrow. My niece is a string bean and is perfectly healthy and happy.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

That he seems content and healthy is a good thing! May I ask why you guys are using a shield? Some hands on help might be useful to check intake, work on dropping the shield, and generally ease your mind. I am a big believer in utilizing the expertise of an IBCLC.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    That he seems content and healthy is a good thing! May I ask why you guys are using a shield? Some hands on help might be useful to check intake, work on dropping the shield, and generally ease your mind. I am a big believer in utilizing the expertise of an IBCLC.
    Of course The nurse on duty used it for our first nursing session (no LC on shift that weekend) b/c I have flat nipples and my tiny guy wasn't latching (I had an IV...grah if only I knew then what I know now!!!). By the time later in the week when we saw the LC she wasn't concerned...but also not helpful. I posted a thread about weaning off it, these gals were helpful. We try at least once a day, he's very temperamental (like moi ) so once he gets frustrated I don't push it. He's taken it on occasion.

Thanks for your replies ladies
    Last edited by @llli*raejoy; June 13th, 2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: can't type after midnight!!!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]