Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I creating a future problem?

Default Am I creating a future problem?

Hi!
    My question is regarding the new use of the pacifier that my 5mo is developing... here is a summary

My LO is 5mo and EBF, no bottles and up until 2 weeks ago, no pacifier either. Since he was born he had huge sucking needs, I always offered him the breast but most of the time it was hard for him to comfort nurse (I also had a period of OALD) but he also hated the pacifier at that time. Taking naps have been a challenge up until now, I had to carry him, sing, stroll, etc... and he would cry anyways... I thought he was going to suck his thumb in order to meet his sucking needs, but he never really did it (at least not until now). Only at night he took the breast to fall asleep.

I think he began the theeting process 2 weeks ago and in search of something for him to chew I offered again the pacifier, and this time he loves it. So we started using it only for naps and it worked great, he was able to calm himself down (still with my help though) and I continued to sleep him at night w/breast. But yesterday and the day before he breastfed at night and instead of continuing to nurse for comfort and to fall asleep he began fussing, and then after more than 1 hour of trying I offerd the pacifier and he took it and started to fall asleep instantly and calmly....

so now I am a little bit scared that he will start substituting the breast w/the paci. I feed on demand and never offer him the pacifier instead, but i'm also worried that if we eliminate the little comfort nursing he did my supply will also go down...

any advice? is a controlled use of pacifier possible? or is it most of the time trouble?
    thanks! and sorry for the log post

Default Re: Am I creating a future problem?

It is a tool, nothing more. Is you use it in situations where he needs it, then it is fine. If you offer to nurse first, and he doesn't want it, let him have it and then see if he wants to nurse ina minute.

One of my kids was not a comfort nurser or a Paci user, a d I still had plenty of milk. You should BR fine.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with Susan, it's a tool. Both of my kids have used pacis and we've not had a problem. DS even gave his up on his own around 8 months. I always offer the breast first and again if they spit the paci out. DD has learned to put it in her mouth by herself but won't take it if she's hungry.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

I weaned my daughter at 5 1/2 months from the paci, now I just give her my breast for comfort, naps and beditme. But if it seems to help you LO with sleeping and gives you a peace of mind why not.
    09-28-2011 VB (41 Weeks 1 Day) Breastfeeding 12 months & counting.

is a controlled use of pacifier possible?
    The answer to that is certainly yes, but I think you are right to want to allow/continue to encourage baby to "pacify" on the breast as well. Comfort nursing is often an important part of nursing for many reasons.

Thanks for all the comments! I am def. encouraging LO to do comfort nursing even if it is just for relaxing and not sleeping

we use a "bink" for our 8 month old...always have and she uses it in a couple of ways. Sometimes, when she is too worked up to latch on, it calms her enough to then get on the breast. Sometimes, she just wants to suck after nursing and doesn't want the milk and will come off the breast a little fussy, but the pacifier calms her right down. Sometimes, she does want to comfort nurse/stay latched on after a full nursing, but if I have to get up, I'll substitute the pacifier for the breast. I have never noticed it effecting my supply, she has never been "confused" by trading one for the other, she nurses great and it has been a savior for me. Our 3 year old used one too and never had a problem going back and forth (we gave her one on the first night she was born and I realize this is a big no-no for a lot of people, but it never effected our nursing relationship). Don't stress about it, they can be lifesavers!