Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need more milk for heavy eater

Default need more milk for heavy eater

Morning,
    My boy is 6 weeks old and eats an enormous amount (or so I think). Any time I
    leave him with my husband to take a little break, he eats all the milk I've left
    in no time. Yesterday he downed a 5 ounce bottle only an hour after I fed him!
    I feed him on demand all day, and sometimes he wants to eat every 45 minutes or
    so. Other times he'll nap for several hours at a time. I know all of this is
    normal enough, but what I don't know is how to get ahead with my milk storage so
    that I can leave him for more than 90 minutes or so at a time. I was hoping to
    go to an all day conference at the end of the month, and I worry I won't have
    enough to last him so many hours. So far, I pump in the morning after he eats.
    This gets me about 3 ounces. Later in the day when I pump after he eats, I
    often get a little less than that. I can't always pump more than once or twice
    a day, cause he's eating so frequently, so the most I ever seem to have in the
    fridge is 5-7 ounces, which only gets me the couple hours out of the house I've
    been taking here and there. Also, I don't want to pump so much that I create an
    oversupply problem. About 2 weeks ago I had to reduce my production because I
    had a super fast letdown and he was gagging on the milk as it came out.
    I was thinking that I would try to find out how much he actually consumes in one
    sitting when he's at the breast. To do this, I thought I'd let my husband give
    him a bottle so that I could allow my breasts to become full, and then pump to
    see what I produce if he hasn't just eaten. Then maybe I'll know what he really
    needs from a bottle feeding so I can try to get enough for a full say or half
    day without me.
    Any suggestions about a) when to pump most effectively, b) how to get ahead with
    milk storage, c) how to gauge what he's really consuming?
    Thanks!

Default Re: need more milk for heavy eater

YOur DH is overfeeding. Leave smaller bottles. Just because a child drinks a whole bottle doesn't mean he needs the whole bottle to be satisfied. Milk is dripping into their mouth and they have to swallow or they will choke. Leave 3 oz bottles Max.

Way too lazy for formula

Make sure to use slow flow nipple and paced feeding with the bottle.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Also the best way to figure out how much s baby eats if it's that important to you is to weigh the baby right before and right after a feed. The oz difference is how much was consumed. You can do this at breastfeeding groups and you can also rent one to do it at your house.

Way too lazy for formula

I second the recommendation about paced bottle feeding. Your LO doesn't need a 5 oz bottle, especially right after he's eaten! Also, sounds like he may be using the bottle when you're gone to satisfy sucking needs rather than just hunger--which is normal, young babies have a great need to suck. How about trying a pacifier (at least when you are not around) so he can get some of his sucking needs met that way? It's going to be really, really hard to keep up with pumping enough if your DH is feeding him 5 oz when you are gone for just an hour, even if you've got a great milk supply. Not to blame your DH, he's obviously trying to comfort your baby which is what he should be doing! But it may not be hunger as much as just a need to suck. Also, how good is DH at comforting the baby in ways other than feeding? You know, rocking, bouncing, walking around... Sometimes reaching for the bottle is the easiest thing for a caregiver, but it's better if they try other things for comfort first (unless it's been awhile or baby is giving clear hunger cues, not just being fussy in general).