Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need to pump/store more milk for heavy eater

Default need to pump/store more milk for heavy eater

Morning,
    My boy is 6 weeks old and eats an enormous amount (or so I think). Any time I
    leave him with my husband to take a little break, he eats all the milk I've left
    in no time. Yesterday he downed a 5 ounce bottle only an hour after I fed him!
    I feed him on demand all day, and sometimes he wants to eat every 45 minutes or
    so. Other times he'll nap for several hours at a time. I know all of this is
    normal enough, but what I don't know is how to get ahead with my milk storage so
    that I can leave him for more than 90 minutes or so at a time. I was hoping to
    go to an all day conference at the end of the month, and I worry I won't have
    enough to last him so many hours. So far, I pump in the morning after he eats.
    This gets me about 3 ounces. Later in the day when I pump after he eats, I
    often get a little less than that. I can't always pump more than once or twice
    a day, cause he's eating so frequently, so the most I ever seem to have in the
    fridge is 5-7 ounces, which only gets me the couple hours out of the house I've
    been taking here and there. Also, I don't want to pump so much that I create an
    oversupply problem. About 2 weeks ago I had to reduce my production because I
    had a super fast letdown and he was gagging on the milk as it came out.
    I was thinking that I would try to find out how much he actually consumes in one
    sitting when he's at the breast. To do this, I thought I'd let my husband give
    him a bottle so that I could allow my breasts to become full, and then pump to
    see what I produce if he hasn't just eaten. Then maybe I'll know what he really
    needs from a bottle feeding so I can try to get enough for a full say or half
    day without me.
    Any suggestions about a) when to pump most effectively, b) how to get ahead with
    milk storage, c) how to gauge what he's really consuming?
    Thanks!

Default Re: need to pump/store more milk for heavy eater

Bottles and breast have ZERO comparison. It is too, too easy for a baby to drink from a bottle -- any bottle, so you can often overfeed with a bottle. And that is what is going on here. Hate to be blunt, but it is what it is.

A baby who is BF takes 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation.

Try getting ultra slow flow bottles -- I still use size 0 Breastflow for my 17 month old -- and google paced bottle feeding.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Defiantly leave smaller bottles. 2.5-3oz at the most. 5oz is a huge amount for a BF baby!!! Like Susan said look up paced feeding and have your DH read up on it. Your LO may just have the need to comfort suck which they can do at the breast but with a bottle the milk drips therefore they have to swallow or choke. Try having DH offer a finger for your LO to suck on to help satisfy the need to comfort suck.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

I agree the problem is probably overeating at the bottle, not that you are leaving too little milk. This is a very common problem.

Besides changing to a very low flow nippple, have your husband or other caregivers try these tips: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

To get a rough calculation of what you would need to leave for baby, try this milk calculator: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

I also suggest you pump as little as possible, enough to leave milk for separations (and certainly pump as needed during separations) but no more. A baby allowed to cue feed as you are doing should keep your supply basically where it should be, no more and no less. But "extra" pumping can mess with that system.