Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I get work done at home w/ baby? For New Beginnings

Default How do I get work done at home w/ baby? For New Beginnings

Hi, Lovely Mamas! I am looking again for responses to a mother's question for New Beginnings Magazine's column "Making It Work". Do you have any ideas for her? Please be aware that you may be published. And thank you!

Here is the question:

“My baby is four months old and after one month back at work, I’ve been told that I may be able to do as much as half of my job from home by telecommuting. It would be great to be at home and be with my baby, partially because of the money we would save on daycare. The problem is that I’m afraid it will be hard to get any work done! How have other moms managed to get work done while being with their baby at home? Is it difficult to transition back and forth?”

Default Re: How do I get work done at home w/ baby? For New Beginnin

You can also send me a private message if you have some ideas for this mom. And this is one place where details and length are perfectly welcome!

Any help out there for this mom?

How much work you can get done depends on the type of baby you have and the type of work you do. If your work requires long periods of intense focus... Well, babies probably aren't too compatible with that. But if you can break your work up into smaller tasks, like making phone calls or editing a document, and there's flexibility built into your day (meaning that you don't have to "show up" for a given task right on time), then there's no reason why you shouldn't at least try telecommuting.

Your best bet at making it work is to get a good swing, a good sling, and a mobile device. If you can get your baby to nap in a swing, you'll have an hour or two of baby-free time during the workday. If you can nurse baby in a sling, you can sit at the computer or make calls while you nurse. And if you have a mobile device, you'll be more able to work wherever the baby needs to be at a particular moment- like if baby falls asleep in your arms and you're afraid to move off the couch. That's the sort of situation where an iPad or laptop or cell phone may come in really handy!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My baby is a little over 6 months old and I am just returning to work. So, I am learning my way through this too. But, here's what we're trying (I work three days a week, 2 at home and 1 in the office; I am contracted to do 8 hours each of those three days).

I get up with baby and we have breakfast and play and breastfeed. This is good connection time and makes sure that he has some quality mommy time before work starts. He usually goes down for a morning nap around 8 (for about an hour). I don't have to do any video conferencing, so I honestly don't even bother getting dressed right away. I just get right to work at 8am so I can make the most of the nap time. When baby wakes up, we nurse and cuddle (I figure, since I am given time to pump at the office that this can count as pumping time, since I don't have to pump when I am home). Then, I usually set him up with some toys and books on the floor next to where I am working. I am super fortunate because he is a very easy and contented baby and so will play quite happily. Sometimes, I sit him on my lap if I am reading something (rather than typing) and might read things out loud to him or massage him while I am reading or tickle him or something to connect. If he needs to nurse, you could just pop him in a sling, as others have mentioned, to keep right on working (I don't do this because I consider this equivalent to pumping and I'm not required to work while I pump in the office and I think that having that time to connect, without distraction, is key to Jack playing happily while I'm working). Of course, while he is playing, I talk to him and tell him about what I'm doing (I'm sure he's terribly interested!) and I do stop periodically and play a bit or read with him (but, honestly, not too much). I try to get big chunks of works done during his longer mid day nap (2 hours) and usually save any really important phone calls for then (anything during which I would not want to have a baby babbling or screaming in the background). Honestly, I don't usually stop for lunch and just snack while I'm working. Since I get a lunch break of 30 minutes, this way I can deduct that time from my working day and only do 7.5 hours rather than 8).

I usually stop work around 3:30pm which is 7.5 hours (plus the 30 minutes I didn't take for lunch, I have met my required hours!). Then it's time for a big feed and cuddle and Jack's last (short) nap of the day. I usually cuddle him to sleep so we get a little more connecting time and then do a couple of quick chores (cleaning, prepping dinner, shower!) while he naps (sometimes, I nap with him and do those other things when he gets up while he is in a sling. I do find working and mothering to be tiring). Then, we have the evening to play and read and have family dinner before bed around 6:45pm (we nurse and cuddle until about 7:15). Again, I think this is really important because the more time he gets connecting, the happier he is during the day and the easier it is for me to get work done.

A couple of caveats: I am SUPER fortunate to work for an employer that is REALLY child friendly (they are a children's charity!) and they don't expect people to work more than their contracted hours (in fact, if you do they INSIST you take flex time to recoup it). So that helps a ton. There are days, of course, when baby is fussy and doesn't want to play/sleep like normal and that can throw a monkey wrench in things for sure. We have a couple of older friends (surrogate grandma types) who live nearby and if there is a really rough day when I MUST make a call or do a meeting or something, they are usually willing to come and give cuddles while I do it. Or my husband has to come home, if I really can't postpone what it is. I also think it is really important to be ethical about the time (I feel my employer has given me a great gift letting me work at home and has conveyed a lot of trust in doing so), so I do actually keep pretty good records of my work time (like an attorney's billable hour records--time started/stopped and what I did--and "stop the clock" when I play with baby or do anything that I don't feel would reasonably fall into that pumping time I am allowed). If I don't get everything done in the 8-3:30 time frame (because I had to take more baby breaks), then I make up the hours in the evening or the weekend.

From my little bit of experience with this, it can definitely work great but it can take a lot more planning and sacrificing and, yes, sometimes more work!

Good luck!

Thanks, Moms!