Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 weeks & still lots of poop w/ straining

Default 9 weeks & still lots of poop w/ straining

More questions!

I know lots but not all babies poop a lot less by week 6.

We're 9 weeks, exclusively breast fed, and still pooping after every other meal. I can handle diapers but the pain -- grunting & straining -- is heartbreaking. She wakes every morning with gas pain too -- starts straining around 6 and will grunt and strain till she's up for good at around 8.

Her poops are liquid soft and seedy yellow. She'll have 4-5 very large BMs a day coupled with some much smaller BMs. Baths help a ton and we're just starting massage in addition to bicycling her legs. She also passes gas and poops best when naked, which makes for some interesting squirting & cleaning.

Is this just the sign of a still immature tummy? Could this also be why she still eats every hour when awake? I just want to make sure I'm not missing a larger issue. All the straining really wears on an otherwise happy girl.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Default Re: 9 weeks & still lots of poop w/ straining

Baby's poops sound perfect, so this all sounds normal. Some young babies are just more bothered by the processes of digestion and excretion than others.

It's possible that your baby nurses every hour on the hour because of her issues with poop: breastfed babies often move something out the bottom of their digestive system when they take milk in, so it's possible that your baby has learned to make this connection and nurse when she wants to poop. But I doubt it. At 9 weeks, frequent feeding is very normal, particularly during the daytime if baby has started to sleep longer stretches at night.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If it makes you feel better, my ds is the EXACT same in the morning. Around 6-630 he's grunting and wiggling around. My husband will take him and hold him against his chest, and he'll sleep til around 8. Around then he'll have a gigantic poop!

Do you feed her on just one side every time? Unless ds is completely asleep I'll offer him the other side; usually he takes it and may only nurse a little, but I think that's the reason his feedings have spaced out. It's like one side is enough to satisfy him but he's really full after the other side.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Although sometimes when I do that he just spits everything back up (like he just did now).

Sigh. Just when you think you have things figured out...
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Baby's poops sound perfect, so this all sounds normal. Some young babies are just more bothered by the processes of digestion and excretion than others.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brogers View Post
    Do you feed her on just one side every time? Unless ds is completely asleep I'll offer him the other side; usually he takes it and may only nurse a little, but I think that's the reason his feedings have spaced out. It's like one side is enough to satisfy him but he's really full after the other side.
    I just added a siggy -- we're feeding with one breast which definitely has a good output. It's amazing how the body compensates for what it's lost. But at the same time I think she can get frustrated during feeding since there's a fast flow to start and a very very slow flow toward the end.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brogers View Post
    Although sometimes when I do that he just spits everything back up (like he just did now).

Sigh. Just when you think you have things figured out...
    YES! But sometimes that can work in your favor. Just as I was getting ready for another night of 1.5 to 2 hour sleep intervals she slept 4 hours, ate, 3 hours, ate, and then began her squirming farting morning which didn't last nearly as long as yesterday. Fingers crossed for tonight... but we'll see...
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

How was this morning? My guy is still a grunting poop machine :-)

In the mornings he usually goes 2-3 times, and it's always loud and they're kind of watery. But then he won't go again until much later in the day and maybe only 1-2 more times. I feel like the grunting and weird poops are related, but I don't know what to do about it!
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12