Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to pump?

Default Re: When to pump?

Oh, they definitely learn how to work for it!

IMHO, pumps are great for working moms and moms with real supply issues and moms who want to leave bottles. For a mom who just wants to nurse and is able to nurse, using a pump introduces an unnecessary variable into the mix. Give your LO a chance to figure out how to be a good nurser, and odds are excellent that you will never need to touch a pump unless you want to.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good advice! What do you suggest to do when he's fidgety and pulling? I try to burp him, then should I put him back on that side or switch? He's more likely to spit everything up from that second side as soon as he burps again, which makes me think he just wants to suck on that first side with the occasional swallow of milk.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Does the fidgety behavior typically occur at a certain time of day? Maybe in the evenings?

If your LO is only taking one breast and then spitting up if he nurses from the second, then I don't think you want to pump at all because it doesn't sound like the behavior is related to supply. If he was really starving, he'd need both breasts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Switch sides when they fidget if you have been feeding for a while. Sometimes fidgeting is from a heavy letdown though.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The fidgeting used to happen mainly in the late afternoon, but now it's slowly happening earlier and earlier and lasting all day. If I let him do his thing he'll eventually fall asleep and let go, I don't know if that's a good thing or it just means he's tired from trying. And later in the day he'll take both breasts just fine; it seems the mornings are when he spits up. Do you think he takes the other side bc he wants to suck and not eat and that's why he spits up everything?

I guess it could be a phase; today all he wants to do is be latched and do little flutter sucks. He's totally relaxed right now and has been for about 20 minutes. Good thing I don't have anywhere to be!
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

If his diaper count is good and he is gaining, it's fine and a phase.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!