Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to pump?

Default When to pump?

I know it's recommended to pump in the morning after baby nurses for optimal output, but would there be any benefit to pumping in the afternoon/evening; since that is when supply is typically low, would it help boost it up a little? Or will that swing everything into oversupply territory?
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Default Re: When to pump?

depends on for what reason you're pumping ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Sooo if pumping to build up a freezer stash you'd do it in the morning, but if you're worried about supply you'd do it later in the day?
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

well, not necessarily either, i just think the answer to "when" depends somewhat on "why", and the result of that might also be a wide variety of answers depending on your life and schedule.

if i was pumping to build up a freezer stash, and otherwise EBF, i would pump around the same time every day. and i pumped - contrary to most advice - right BEFORE a nursing, because i knew my DS would work for his milk afterward. not all babies will. and i seemed to get the most in the afternoon, too - also unlike most people. i think the common advice if you're worried about supply is to pump 10 mins after each nursing (and that's what i did when i was), rather than simply add an extra "feeding" in.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

also people are different about their sensitivitiy to the pump and risk of problematic oversupply.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Gotcha. The reason I'm asking is because more and more my ds (7 weeks) seems restless and will pull and suck really hard at the end of a nursing session. It used to happen only in the afternoons but lately it's happening more often - except at night when his feedings are spaced out a little more, and I'm really full. He'll actively suck for anywhere between 5-10 minutes and then I don't hear much swallowing, yet he'll be sucking and his hands are up by his face and he wiggles around. I thought either he gets frustrated the milk isn't flowing fast anymore or nothing's coming out :-(

He also has been sucking his hand a lot lately, and it's getting harder to tell if he's hungry or tired or just keeping himself busy.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

ah - all of that behavior is perfectly normal. as long as he's gaining and having appropriate output (diapers), there's nothing you need to do except keep putting him to the breast, on demand!

remember that if he does need more milk, he is MUCH better at producing it than a pump is.

and remember that you can't overfeed a breastfed baby, so offering to nurse at any sign is ok. if he doesn't want it, he'll let you know.

also remember that spacing out feedings actually tells your body to make LESS milk; it's the removing of milk that prompts making more milk, and the storing of it that prompts less.

it is likely that your supply is just starting to regulate to what he actually needs; most mamas after about this point stop ever feeling "full" or "empty" and the body starts to produce milk on demand.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

with the PP. To a certain extent I think boosting supply to make feedings easier for baby is kind of... Self-defeating. This is baby's opportunity to learn how to nurse and get the flow of milk he wants even when the milk is not as rapidly available as he would like. So if you pump up the volume and baby learns to always expect a fast milk flow, maybe you end up stuck in a cycle where every time the volume decreases you have to break out the pump again, because baby isn't that willing to put in the necessary work.

That's all just a hypothesis, though!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

@mommal - that's a good point. So you think he'll learn how to work for it?
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

i do - babies get so much better at nursing when they get more muscle & head control -
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13