Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm hanging in there but will this phase end?

Default I'm hanging in there but will this phase end?

So I've posted before about DD refusing to nurse when awake. This is still the case. I'm able to feed her regularly, but only when she is sleepy or asleep. We have the most success nursing while lying down (when she has just drifted off to sleep). This is fine when we can just hang around the house all day. But sometimes we like to leave the house . I've had a little success nursing her in a sling or carrier. So, we're managing, but this.is.really.hard. I guess I feel like we don't have a "nursing relationship" (never mind the inconvenience of this) It's just me "tricking" her into nursing, if that makes any sense. I miss just being able to feed her when she was awake and fussy or hungry, like when she was a newborn. Gazing into her eyes as she looks at me contentedly while she gets her fill. Do you think she'll grow out of this and ever "ask" to nurse again? Now, if I offer when she is awake, she arches her back, turns away, fusses, etc. I know she is still so young (10 weeks) and things are always changing with babies...

Just needed to vent.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: I'm hanging in there but will this phase end?

My son was the same way. Only nursed laying down. I think it was about 3-4 months that I finally felt like we had the hang of it an he was able to be nursed in public. It'll get there. Congrats for making it through this far.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Also, I know a lot of babies have been helped by gentle chiropractic adjustments and cranio sacral or cranial osteopathy. Sometimes birth tweaks the neck and head and causes them
    Discomfort in certain positions.
    Lyn

No answers, just

I am praying that someday our babies will nurse awake and happily....soon!

Continue to post....I find it helpful myself just to vent sometimes.....

I'm finding that I often get anxious about it which doesn't help. Sometimes when I do get her latched on when drowsy I get nervous that she will freak out and this delays my milk ejection reflex. It's becoming a problem! Any tips?

903 ounces donated.

I use Bach's Rescue Remedy for anxiety. It helps take the edge off. I have D-MER and it comes and goes.
    Lyn

Thanks for the tip about the rescue remedy. Do you the little gummy tablets or the spray? Do you find that your D-MER is related to anxiety? I don't know how this started for me but it can quickly become a vicious cycle. DD is going through a fussy nursing stage anyways (won't nurse while awake) so when she does latch on while sleepy or asleep I sometimes start to feel frantic about the let-down because I'm afraid she going to reject the breast. This of course delays the letdown! It's a confidence game - if something shakes my confidence we can have a few stressful sessions, but we eventually get back on track. Now if only I could get her to nurse while awake.

What can you share about your experience with D-MER?
    Thanks so much!!

903 ounces donated.

I think that some of my anxiety was caused by D-MER but I also have a history of anxiety and depression pre- and post- babies.

D-MER was most common in the first few week, again around 6 months, and again at about a year. It happened at or right before let down and it was a combo of feelings: anxiety, sadness, and this weird homesick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Its really hard to describe but more and more people are understanding that they have it. It helps to acknowledge it and for me I had to relax when I nursed because it was most likely to happen when I was trying to do too much at once. Also it helped if I distracted myself with TV, a magazine, or these forums.
    Lyn