Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will she ever poop again?

Default Will she ever poop again?

My LO is just over 3 months and used to be a twice-a-day super-pooper...diaper explosion pooper. And then about two weeks ago they dropped to once-a-day, and now it's been about a week with no poops. I know that this could theoretically be normal, but when do I start freaking out?

We just went to the doctor and she weighs 11 pounds even, up from 8.5 pounds at 2 months, and 4.5 pounds at birth. So weight gain is good and her urine output is good too. But, where are the poops?
    I'm Erin, mommy to Ella, born at 33 weeks 4 days, and Addison, born at 35 weeks and 5 days.

Default Re: Will she ever poop again?

The poops are waiting. They are building up. And soon they will emerge in a diaper-busting poonami.

As long as the poop is soft when it emerges, is produced without discomfort (straining, crying), and arrives at least once a week, there's no reason to worry. Some breastfed babies can go even more than a week without pooping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Or a poovalanche. At that age we defined the difference between the two based upon whether it reached his armpits or not.

Texture and difficulty, rather than frequency is the marker of constipation with bf babies. What is happening is that your LO's digestive system is maturing and is better able to process the breast milk. When you add in solids in a few months they will increase in frequency and in texture. And then you will return asking if her poops are now normal.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

It will be the color and consistency of peanut butter when it returns. And in the mean time the gas that passes it everyday will be RANK.

Way too lazy for formula

Oh my gosh, djs.mom, you were exactly right! And smelly. What is that about? Will her poops always be that way now?
    I'm Erin, mommy to Ella, born at 33 weeks 4 days, and Addison, born at 35 weeks and 5 days.

The longer the waste hangs out inside baby's body, the smellier it gets. I think it may have something to do with the maturation of the gut, and the influence of an evolving complement of digestive enzymes and microbial flora in the gut.

Sorry, those sweet buttered popcorn poops are a thing of the past. It only gets worse from here on out- wait until your LO is eating blueberries!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If she ever poops once a day you will still see the seedy mustardy poop. But any time she holds it, it will be the color and consistency of peanut butter. The longer she holds it the more there will be and the worse it and the gas that passes it will smell. But there is nothing wrong with it. Or her. It's just the digestive tract maturing and her being able to hold onto poop longer than one feed.

Way too lazy for formula

My daughter had one poop that took her about a week (or maybe it was longer, I don't remember now) and I was worried, called the doctor and he said as long as her mood hadn't changed, she didn't seem uncomfortable, not to worry. Sure enough, she was saving it up for when my husband was home. It was really funny because it was the hugest mess (OK not a very nice wife thing for me to say). Anyway, that was the only time she had one that long and then they were more frequent, more like daily or more often.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My DD #1 would go 2 weeks without a poop. My pediatrician told me its fine its just my breast milk is "so pure and easy to digest"