Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: worried about my supply.....EP right now....

Default worried about my supply.....EP right now....

My baby boy was born May 31 by c-section and then immediatly rushed across town to another hospitals NICU. He had a pneumothorax, low blood sugar, and a few other problems including a feeding tube. He was born 3 weeks early and was 7lbs 5oz.

the pneumo has cleared .....his only set back has been feeding. i have been pumping every 3 hours around the clock since i had him......my milk came in on day 5. he has had a feeding tube in place due to not wanting to suck on a nipple. he finally has gotten to where he will nipple 2 oz in 20min.....and the feeding tube was removed this morning. we have tried twice to breast feed but it was so confusing and stressfull that we all agreed that just pumping and giving it to him in a bottle will have to work.

my problem is i only get about 1oz of milk per pump session. that is every 3 hours.....i have huge breasts.....48 dd and i have a medela pump in style advanced. my pump works a bit better than the symphony at the hospital. i am worried my supply is to low. right now they are giving him half breast and half formula since i just dont produce enough. i pump for about 20min per breast, and i also squeeze (hands on pumping) while i pump to try to get it all out. i am stressing out over it, getting crap from my mother (i am 38 years old.....and have an 11 yo (who was bottle fed, medical reasons) ,......but she insults me for not breast feeding although for now bottle is best....so he will eat. how can i improve supply? i am going to attempt breast again when he comes home....he is still in NICU right now. but i am so scared i will fail and not produce enough. any suggestions? i am really worried. i did talk to the LC at the hospital and she told me to pump until nothing comes out and then pump 10min past that. i did that one time and my nipples bled and i literally pumped an hour per breast. it didnt seem right so i then talked to the dr and she said pump 20 min per side then stop or i would end up injuring my nipples. i have been doing up to 20 min. sorry to ramble i am just so worried i wont produce more than 1oz a session.,....

Default Re: worried about my supply.....EP right now....

My first guess is that you have the wrong sized horns. Is the LC at the hospital an IBCLC? You may want to find another LC to help fit you as well as helping you with transitioning your LO to the breast. There are several of us here who had LOs who took a while to latch.

Here is a link to finding a IBCLC.

And you have every right to tell your mother to stuff it, though there might be a more diplomatic way to put it.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

i agree with erin that the horns probably are too small, its very common. also seeing the IBCLC is very good.

also, it is much harder to have a pump build your supply than a baby but you can do it so try to stay positive. the best thing would be to get the baby to the breast as often and as soon as possible.

susan is someone here who EPs and she can be very helpful, i am sure she will come on soon enough.

in the meantime, try to pump often, i do not know exactly how much for EP but i would think at least every two hours. longer is not really better, more often is.

compressions are good so keep at it.

do you have a hands free bra? i like the simple wishes one.

i am surprised the hospital grade pump does not work best but it is possible you simple respond better to the other one. maybe ask if they have another pump at the hospital you can try just to see? try it with the larger horns.

also as hard as it is, try try try to relax. close your eyes, have a blanket of your baby, listen to music. imagine nursing your baby.

maybe try to hand express a little at the end of each session. i know it helps me, but i did practice it a bunch to get used to it. in the pumping section there is a thread about increasing output and it links a video that can help.

keep at it mama. you can do this and get the baby to the breast.

I would bet your horns do not fit.

But the basic information the LC gave you is correct. Pump for some minutes past when the milk stop flowing. Switch back to stimulation mode and see if you can get a second letdown. Do this every time, and it may take a couple weeks, but your supply will come back up.

Are you pumping for a total of 120 minutes a day? Are you pumping between midnight and 5 am al least once?

I think you need to find a non-hospital based IBCLC to help you transition back to the breast. In the long run, it will save you money and hassle.

Also, don't forget the basics, like oatmeal, etc.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i pump every 3 hours.....right along with the schedule the hospital set for his feedings. i do think maybe it is the horns. i am a 48 dd normally and i know they are a bit larger now.... i have set my self to pumping 20 min per breast unless i am still getting droplets. i do 2 let downs.....sometimes 3. i just hope i start to produce more than an ounce per session.

Try power pumping. Sit down and pump for 10 minutes every 10 minutes for 60-90 minutes, like a cluster feed.

I would suggest pumping more often. Yes it sucks but here is why:

1. A pump is way less effective than a baby at removing milk
    2. You do NOT get the hormonal kick like you do from a pump like you would if you were nursing and cuddling your baby for a feeding. This results in less milk.
    3. A newborn might eat every 60-180 minutes around the clock. Most nurse every 120 minutes. Pumping more often, like nursing more often, keeps your breasts emptier so they make more milk.

So, try pumping more often during the day and make sure you are pumping between midnight at 5 am. I gave myself a longer stretch by pumping at midnight and then getting up to pump at 4, then I was up at 6 and got rolling for the day.

Does it have new membranes and such?

Get the right sized horns. I thought a 30 would do it for me, but I needed a 36. Has nothing to do with breast size though. I'm a b/c these days
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i do pump during the night but i totally see what you are saying. i will try that 12 pump and then 4 pump.....and then every 2 hours during the day. Grant should get to come home tomorrow....we did the 90 min car seat torture test and he passed.....and his feedings were upped to 60-70 mil.....every 3 hours. i have a ton of membranes and i do think i need larger horns.......that will have to wait till thursday. i am also hand expressing after i pump.....and normally only get about 2 good squirts and that is it....i appreciate every bit of advice i can get~!