Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 week old refuses right side/gets angry when try to latch

Default 5 week old refuses right side/gets angry when try to latch

My DD seems to have problems with her latch (keeps clicking and slipping off). I try to re-latch but she becomes very upset and angry. But the slipping off makes her upset too. She is showing a preference for the left side, which is making things even more difficult. Any ideas of what I can do to correct this? I'm a little afraid that using a pacifier has caused nipple confusion. (We've since stopped using it).

Default Re: 5 week old refuses right side/gets angry when try to lat

I would highly recommend hands on help from an IBCLC, but a couple of things you can try in the meantime are laid-back nursing (you reclining and babe on top of you) and nursing in exactly the same position on both sides (so if you nurse the left in cradle hold, then try the football hold on the right).
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

It took me the first 3 months to get a good latch on the right side with my DD. And the left side was just so natrual and easy. Even now at 8 months she nurses 80% on the left side. Maybe try offering it to her when she isn't showing hunger cues and see if she will comfort latch. Or try in the wee hours of night when she is half asleep. Or try the laid back nursing approach. Remember she is learning just like you are.

This sounds exactly like me! My lo refuses to nurse on my right initially. I think its because the flow is slower and has less milk. So I kept trying and pump when he doesnt take the right. Then one day he miraculously start to take the right without any problem. Honestly I don't know what happened. Maybe the milk and flow increased in the right over time.
    Just keep trying!

Thanks everyone! I had someone come and help. It was a combination of problems. My daughter was trying to keep up with my super fast letdown, and her latch was not very good due to her position. My lactation consultant told me about doing "nose to nipple" to get her latched, and things are already going so much better! You'd think you'd know a few things once you have your 3rd baby, but it just goes to show- every baby is different.