Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inducing Lactation without drugs - advice please!

Default Inducing Lactation without drugs - advice please!

I'm interested in trying to induce lactation so that I can breastfeed the baby that my husband and I are adopting. (We aren't matched yet, so I don't know when the baby is coming - but I've been told it could be soon!)

My doctor just got back to me and said that she isn't comfortable prescribing the usual drugs used to induce lactation. Honestly, I'm a little relieved because I wasn't comfortable with it myself.

So here's my question: Does anyone have advice on inducing lactation without drugs?

My plan is to:
    1.) Get a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony or Limerick PJ Comfort)
    2.) pump both breasts every 3 to 4 hours
    3.) drink the Mother's Milk Tea

So what else should I do? What other herbal supplements do I need to take (and research)? and in what doses and what times?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

P.S. Yep I'll also be using a supplementer...and hopefully breast milk from another generous mom.

Default Re: Inducing Lactation without drugs - advice please!

If it's not too nosy of me to ask, why isn't your doc comfortable prescribing you the usual regimen of drugs? Regardless of whether or not you feel like answering that question, I would see another doc for a second opinion. Often docs are... Over-conservative when it comes to things with which they are not familiar.

Inducing lactation without drugs can be done, though I am not sure what level of success can be guaranteed, particularly if you have never been pregnant or nursed a baby before. Your plan sounds like a good one, though I would love to see you pump every 2-3 hours instead of every 3-4. The more stimulation you can give your body, the more likely you are to be successful, and the more quickly you should see results. I'd also want you to have perfectly-sized breast shields, to ensure maximum stimulation- so I'd see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, about that. I'd also talk to the LC about the herbs- fenugreek, blessed thistle, goat's rue, and ordinary oatmeal are all useful, though not nearly so useful as frequent pumping!- and also about the dosages you should be using. And get your hands on the SNS or Lact-Aid now, and practice with it and a doll, just to get a sense of what you're in for when it comes to using it.

The last thin you may want to consider is using Rx drugs to increase supply. Reglan and Domperidone are both useful in that regard- but discuss it with your doc, because both have additional side-effects and are not appropriate for every mom.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As for the shields, if I understand correctly, if I get the Limerick PJ Comfort, I won't have to be concerned with the size as it's one size fits all. But I'll be sure to pay close attention to that if I go with the Medela Symphony)

As for my doctor, I trust her. She has a wonderful knowledge of my background and of what's important to me - physically and spiritually. She's one in a million. Her concerns confirmed mine - so it's right and prudent that I follow her advice.

I did however, ask her for contact information for an esteemed acupuncturist doctor who she has worked with in the past. I contacted her and she said that she takes a holistic approach - that she cannot confirm that it would produce or enable lactation, but that acupuncture may relieve some of the underlying hormonal problems that might trip me up in regards to lactation.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll see if I can get in touch with a LC about it.
    So - we'll see. I need to do some more research and praying about that before I proceed.

One size usually doesn't ft all as for as flanges go. Incorrect sizing can lead to pain and/or decreased output.

I haven't used the Limeric but hear the suction is very different from the Medela ones

dr. jack Newman has some great studies and protocols (IIRC the Goldfarb protocol) for inducing lactation.
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; June 9th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I have a Limerick and love it. The horns are truly one size and do fit very well. The suction action is different than a Symphony, but I find it more effective myself. It is more like a baby in my expirence.

You should aim to pump more often than every 3-4 hours.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan I just read some Limeric reviews that say the suction is amazing more the pushing instead of sucking out...agree?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yes. It squeezes the areola, not sucking it down a tube. I find it more comfortable, and I got more from it than I did with any other pump. It was well worth the money, and I can safely pass it along as it IS a hospital grade pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Someone suggested that I meet with a Lactation Consultant, but I'm finding that harder to do than I thought it would be. Do you think I need to search for someone who is an expert in Inducing Lactation? or will any LC do?

I live in a city with 8 million people. You'd think that it wouldn't be hard to find someone....

Have you checked the International Lactation Consultant Association directory? Everyone listed there is an IBCLC.

If you find you have several options for who to see, it certainly couldn't hurt to ask if they have experience with induced lactation. But any IBCLC would be better than none (most likely!).
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Yeah I haven't taken the time to call all of the ones listed... there are many. Guess I just have to put in the time. Thanks!