Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newish research on counting diapers

Default Re: Newish research on counting diapers

Personally, I think you have to look at both poop and pee. I myself have a kid who stopped pooping early. Based on all of this, he would have not been getting any milk. But he was fine. More than fine. He never lost any weight after birth, and by the time he was 2 days old, he had gained 2 ounces. Obviously just fine, just not pooping. I was panicking a bit, and my doctor was the one who was calm about it. No, he didn't poop for like 14 days at a time, starting around 7 days of age, but he was gaining like a bad weed.

So, to me, you must look at the whole picture. If baby is pooping a lot, what is the weight gain like? If baby isn't pooping, what are the wets and weight gain like? It's an easy way to decide if you should perhaps have the baby assessed IMHO.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

another weight thing is that people look at weight gain based on the birth weight as opposed to using the lowest weight of baby to start charting gain.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I know there are babies who just don't poop much-ever, and are doing fine. But we are talking generalities, and in general, what the studies showed was that generally a baby who is gaining well is also pooping lots-and vice versa.

Aprilsmagic, in your case your baby was clearly gaining-in other words, the scales were telling you (and your doctor) all was well. So....there was no reason to even worry about output, at least in terms of using output to measure that baby was getting enough. I take it once you knew your baby was gaining well besides being a very infrequent pooper, you reassured yourself on a day to day basis that all was well based on pees. That makes perfect sense to me.

But if the scales are indicating poor weight gain, AND there are no or scant poops, that is a situation where it may be dangerous to reassure mom that all was well based entirely on pee output.

The problem as I see it is that breastfed babies are put on supplements unnecessarily due to perceived poor weight gain-whether that weight gain is really poor or not-due to the numerous scale/weight check/growth rate measuring errors that can occur. If doctors INSTEAD had the knowledge to assess breastfeeding, if they suspected poor weight gain, they would be asking moms things like "how frequently is baby nursing?” “How much is baby pooping?” And even to- SHOCKER-actually watch a mother nurse her child and assess things like latch and suck/swallow patterns, or do some before/after nursing weight checks, etc, to gain a better picture of if poor milk transfer is really is going on, why, and to fix whatever breastfeeding issues may be occurring-rather than throwing formula at the problem and sending mom and baby on their way. I still feel pediatricians have a duty to do this, as supporting breastfeeding is so vital to the helath of their patients. But this is certainly not, in general, happening now.

Until that happy day, we who are trying to help breastfeeding moms, have to give moms our best info on what indicators THEY can use to measure how breastfeeding is going, so they have the knowledge to make an informed decision about how to deal with any weight gain concerns. And to do this most effectively, I think we need to know 1) what the weight gain/loss has been 2) how the weight checks have been done 3) how often baby is nursing, 4) what nursing sessions are like (is there nipple pain, how long baby nurses, does baby have a period of active sucking and swallowing during the feeding, is baby relaxed after feeding etc.) and 5) how much baby is pooping. I am not saying it never helps to know how much a baby is peeing, I think it does, but how helpful and in what way it is helpful will depend on the situation.

I also want to stress I think it is really important to ask moms with weight gain concerns about nursing frequency. I have talked to moms who were told to supplement, who had seen doctors and even IBCLCs about mysterious poor weight gain, who it turned out were nursing their newborns maybe 6 times a day-and had no idea that was not enough, because no one else had mentioned nursing frequency to them. We forget to ask the simplest questions sometimes.

I think you are saying what I have always said. If baby is wetting adequate diapers, if poop frequency is normal for that kid and weight has historically been Ok, there is no need to fuss.

The weight history can be so easily messed up or confused by too many people.

And I would agree about frequency, as I see moms who purposefully try to put baby on a rigid schedule that ends up being inadequate too often.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!