Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: balancing solids and Breastmilk for my 4 mth old

Default balancing solids and Breastmilk for my 4 mth old

Okay for starters my DS is 4 months old he has about 8-10 wet diapers a day and only poops about once maybe twice a week he is 25 and3/4 long and weighs 17 1/2 pounds. The doctor told me to start solids and I am worried I am not feeding enough milk He will eat a whole jar of food and then he will drink off me for a few minutes and he will eat his food usually at lunch and before he goes to bed. He still wakes up at least 3 times a night if not more but he sleeps good and hard between 9 and 1 am waking up for maybe 5 min for a drink I cannot keep him awake when he wants to sleep I've tried. Also I had to be away from him for 5 days and i pumped while I was gone but the day we were coming back my breasts stopped getting full I still have milk but I don't know if I am getting enough for him. I guess I am doing something right for his size I am just wondering how much should he be drinking milk wise if he eats a whole jar of solids 2 times a day. Any advice is appreciated

Default Re: balancing solids and Breastmilk for my 4 mth old

Hi mama!

The American Academy of Pediatrics (as well as Unicef, the World Health Organization, etc) all recommend that babies get nothing but milk or formula until at least 6 months. Is there a specific reason why your doctor wanted your baby to start so early?

That being said, LOTS of mamas feel like they don't make enough, but they almost all do. Being away for 5 days surely did hurt your supply, but there's no reason that it can't be increased just by putting your baby to the breast whenever he or you want, at least 8 times every 24 hours. What did your baby eat while you were away?

For an exclusively breastfed baby, pooping only twice a week is totally normal. Not sure how that changes once you start solids - when did you start?

Waking up 3 times a night at this age is totally normal; babies this young need to eat all day & night long.

So, others will advise you too, but what I would try to do is wean him off all solids (again, unless there was a specific medical reason your ped wanted him to start) and put him to the breast more, as much as possible.

You might find some ideas about how to do that here: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/ - it's about weaning from formula supplements, but you could imagine how to wean from solids in a similar way.

Good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

mama, I think your doctor gave you very bad advice.

First, babies shouldn't have solids until 6 months (at least) - the recommendation to start at 4 months is outdated. Sometimes Doctors simply aren't up to date with information

Second, 2 full bottles a day is too much, even for a 6 month old. When starting solids, you should start out really slow. A tablespoon or two at a sitting to start. OR you can offer whole foods instead of bottles if you want. There is some great information if you google "baby led solids" ... It's great for breastfed babies because it allows your baby to regulate his intake the same way he does while he nurses

Third, you should breastfeed first and "top up" on solids until the end of the first year - not offer solids first. Sometimes doctors and people trying to be helpful tell new moms to offer foods first, but breastfed babies should get about 80% of their nutrition from breastmilk for the first year, think of solids as dessert
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Whenever you do solids, you always want to nurse the baby first to fill them up, like PP mentioned so you don't reduce your supply. 2 jars is a ton of food for a baby that young, who really doesn't need solids yet. When you do start feeding solids, however, I just wanted to mention that it's really easy and less expensive to just make your own instead of buying jarred food. Welcome to LLL, I hope you find some good support here!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

with the PPs. Unless there is a specific medical reason why your doc thinks your baby should be on solids, you want to take the solids away and wait until 6 months. This is a great article on signs of readiness for solid food: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...s/solids-when/

When you do start solids (generally at 6 months, but there are plenty of people who start earlier), you want to keep the quantity of solid food extremely small. A teaspoon or two of solids per day will do, with many babies not requiring more than that until they are over a year old. Breastmilk should make up the majority of a baby's diet until the first birthday. So, as the PPs said, 2 whole jars of food per day is way too much, even if baby eats it enthusiastically.

Most moms start out making more milk than their babies need. This ensures that the baby gets fed while he masters the tricky art of breastfeeding. But after a mom has been nursing for a while, her milk supply will adjust to meet her baby's needs very precisely, without a lot of extra milk left over. When that adjustment happens, all the following are normal:
    - Mom leaks less or not at all
    - Mom experiences decreased letdown sensation
    - Mom sees pump output decline (if she is pumping)
    - Mom no longer feels "full" or engorged except in the rare event that the baby skips one or more feedings in a row
    - Baby fusses at the breast (while adjusting to the new flow speed)
    - Baby wakes to nurse at night, even though he's been sleeping through (this is not generally related to milk supply, but it more a factor of development and teething)
    - Baby increases feeding frequency (again, totally normal and may have nothing to do with supply)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with the above comments. I too started my DD on solids just after the 4 months. As my Dr. told me it was ok to start solids. But I noticed by 5 months that she was nursing way too little to be getting the right nuritition. So I went back to ebf unitl 6 months. But you can ebf even longer than the 6 months. The nurtition of breastmilk changes with with growing baby to supply all nurtients they need. So I suggest hold off to at least 6 months.

thank you everyone for your advice and to answer some questions i believe the doc started him on solids because after every bf session he was still hungry and he shows most of the signs to start he reaches for my bowl or plate of food every time I eat and he already knows how to use his tongue he does not push the food out he does eat it very enthusiastically he trys to hold his bottle and has held it at times on his own when I pump. Also i think his size also is what made the doc consider solids he is big for his age most docs or pharmasist think he is almost a year old and he still goes on the breast about an hour before and then after he eats he will drink maybe an ounce or two more and he will get mad if u take too long to get another half spoon full and he knows what that spoon means when i put food on it and hold it up so he can see it he opens his mouth and waits till u feed him so all the cues r there and he has also hit every milestone before he was supposed too by a month at least. Also I am not a new mom but it has been 8 years since I have had a baby and so much has changed since I had my DD'S I have 2 girls 8 and 10 and it seems like almost everything is different so it is a little confusing on what is up to date also this one is a boy so he is completly different than my girls but I am going to talk to my DS doc and see if I should just try formula . he is just always hungry Thank you everyone for your advice it much appreciated

One of the many myths about solids is that babies who are larger or smaller than average need them early. Apparently the only time it's safe to wait until the recommended 6 month start date is if your baby is a perfect fiftieth percentile in every way.

When you say your baby is "always hungry", what do you mean exactly? What behaviors are you seeing that lead you to conclude that he's starving? Often the problem is unreasonable expectations about how often a baby "should" eat. Every 1-2 hours is very, very normal for young babies. Many breastfed babies don't start to space out their feedings more than that until they are at least 6 months old, with many continuing to feed every 1-2 hours until a year of age, at least.

Your doc's response to "My baby seems hungry after he eats" should not have been to suggest starting solids early. It should have been to congratulate you on being responsive to your baby's needs, on getting him to such a nice healthy size on breastmilk alone, and to suggest that you continue to exclusively breastfeed for a couple more months. Having a large baby who often seems hungry is NOT a medical justification for starting solids 2 months ahead of schedule. Nor is it a good reason to start formula. Formula is for babies who are failing to gain weight on breastmilk alone (which isn't your baby at all) or for moms who WANT to incorporate formula into their feeding choices.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal, I see no reason to start using formula if you baby is gaining weight. My daughter too seemed very interested in my plate, cup or anything I had at that age. She too would reach for the spoon and never pushed out the food, but ate well. But it did change how many nursing sessions she had each day. Breastmilk is the only nuritirtion you baby needs right now. He sounds healthy, why try to add anything else to his diet?
    09-28-2011 VB (41 Weeks 1 Day) Breastfeeding 12 months & counting.

Despite the fact that the AAP and WHO suggest waiting until at least 6 months to introduce solids most pediatricians will still tell moms to start rice cereal at 4 month. Frustrating.

Hopefully you will rethink starting solids and when you do start solids skip feeding baby cereal. Those baby cereals have little to no nutritional content, they simply fill up baby's belly while providing no health benefit.

Almost everything about comercial baby food makes me angry. The fact that stage 1 baby food is allowed to me marketed at all is . . . . . . I can't even articulate my feelings.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014