Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any more advice?

Default Any more advice?

Hello,

My baby was a great nurser from day 1 but for some odd reason stopped nursing at 5 weeks. She did nurse in her sleep. I thought it was maybe the new soap I was using and thought it would pass since she did intermittently nurse . But after she turned 2 months old she stopped nursing at all. I have been pumping and offering via bottle. OF course, I think I lost all hope after that and have not even offered the breast since she was 3 months old. NOw she is 8 months old. I made the mistake of not seeing a LC or LL league member tll she was 5 months old. But they were like "better luck next time" I called another Le Leche League member and she was the same way . I thought it was possible to bring even older babies back to the breast. I can't keep up with this pumping, my supply is dropping and my baby is getting older. Can someone please help me? She has a baad appetite and that's making things worse. I cut out her solids sometimes but still no appetite. She doesn't drink more than 1 ounce from a cup so I get scared and go back to the bottle. Le Leche league mekber and Lc both suggested more skin to skin and warm baths tgether. I'm losing hope nad scared that she's getting older. Can someone please help. If I offer the breast now she just bites (not latching but biting due to teething) down hardddd every time. Please help.

And please don't tell me how people EP for years because I want to breastfeed her... that's what I want. I also got the suggestion of laid back breastfeeding. Tried it but its not working.

I thought the Le Leche League is an expert in bringing older babies back to the breast. But I am really disappointed. She did give me a nipple shield which she does not like at all.
    Last edited by @llli*needsuccess; June 9th, 2012 at 10:13 AM.

Default Re: Any more advice?

Hi mama,

Of course you want to breastfeed her! Not only is it more pleasant, it's WAY easier, and EPing is HARD HARD HARD. And it is really tough to keep up supply that way.

I'm really sorry you haven't gotten more supportive advice. It is hard work to bring baby back to the breast, though.

So - she will latch, but she bites down? Have you seen an IBCLC recently? That is my suggestion.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hey mama, sorry you haven't had more success getting baby back to the breast. It really is difficult. Some babies go back with little fuss, but others are just intractable. Have you seen this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/? It has all of the tips I know of for getting a baby to nurse.

I'm sorry you didn't get more help from the LLL leader who you spoke too. It may be that you just stumbled across someone whose expertise really lay in another area- remember, LLL is a volunteer organization and there is a lot of variation between groups.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When you say she has a bad appetite, do you mean that she doesn't seem to want much food? Is that the case only for breast milk, or solids, too? I'm wondering if she might be allergic/intolerant to something you are eating. That was the case for my first daughter, and she rejected nursing very early, I believe because the wheat and peanuts in my diet caused her pain. What solids does your little one eat? I don't have any specific advice about getting babies back to the breast, but this could possibly be one factor to address in your process.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Have you tried nursing while she sleeps lately? Maybe she won't be so inclined to bite if she is asleep. Even if you can just get her to latch while she naps will be good for the milk production. Did you give her a pacificer? Sorry I am not much help. Keep that determination and passion you have though. Best of luck.

I totally get not wanting to EP for years. I'm still trying to breastfeed my toddler!

It is very difficult, though, to overcome bottle preference. Some people can, some people can't. I have years of experience at this, both with my own babies and by helping others, and I have not been able to get my fourth child to nurse. So...I pump. Almost 17 months of pumping. If you can't get her to nurse, I can help you with the pumping part. I get how it isn't what you want, but you can make it work better, kwim.

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogsp...reastfeed.html is another good site with tips aimed at older babies.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I know mothers who have brought adopted children to the breast who are older than 8 months old. So, yes, it is possible....But it takes quite a bit of determination and willingness to keep trying despite no guarantee of success.

I thought the Le Leche League is an expert in bringing older babies back to the breast. But I am really disappointed. She did give me a nipple shield which she does not like at all.
    LLL is a volunteer organization that offers breastfeeding information and support to all breastfeeding mothers or mothers interested in breastfeeding. Leaders are trained to answer questions that are "within the scope of normal breastfeeding." Bringing a child to the breast after that child has not nursed for many months is outside that description. Of course different Leaders have different areas they are familiar with, but this is an area even many paid professionals do not touch, because it's so hard and "success" so unpredictable. So I hope you would have gotten support and suggestions from any LLL Leader but no one I am aware of is an "expert" in this area. Also as Leaders we try to help moms see the positive about their breastfeeding experience, no matter what happens. So what your heard as "better luck next time" may have been the Leader encouraging you to be proud that you nursed for 2 months and have provided your baby with breast milk for 8. Those are amazing accomplishments well beyond what the majority of moms in the US today have done. I get it you want more, and that is great! But no reason to not look positively at what you have achieved.

If you would like more local assistance, I suggest you call around some more. Ask if there is a Leader or mom around with personal experience nursing an adopted child or a situation like yours.

The nipple shield was something worth trying, because some babies who have gotten used to bottles prefer the feel of the silicone to flesh at first. But it does not always work. (I have seen someone use a regular bottle nipple threaded with a lactation aid to encourage an adopted child to "nurse." Bascially, she held the bottle nipple over/near her breast and held her baby as if breastfeeding.) Laid back is a good suggestion because it helps in many situations, and is great for facilitating self attachment and a relaxed approach to nursing for both mom and baby- but it is certainly not something that is going to work in every situation. I would have probably suggested using a lactation aid, which is a tool commonly used by moms starting off nursing adopted children. But again, I have no idea if it would work for you and your baby. Sometimes you have to just throw everything at the wall to see what sticks.

Skin to skin at this age is fine if you like it but if it makes you or your child uncomfortable (personally I would be hot & sweaty with an 8 month old on me in the summer skin to skin) I suggest instead getting into a comfortable position where baby has easy access to the breasts but you are both clothed. This could be a laid back, sitting back position (you do not need to be way back, at all) or maybe a side-lying position. Remember comfort nursing often comes first in these situations.

Check out the links mommal and aprilsmagic have provided. I would also suggest that if one thing or another does not work, remember it and try it another day. Look for even the most subtle signs of progress. This will be a process, and often what did not work today may work better tomorrow.