Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long before you dry up? Plugged ducts....

Default How long before you dry up? Plugged ducts....

How long will it take to dry up? I stopped nursing all together not quite a week ago. I was just full after not nursing for a day and a half and I thought that was a "good" sign that it was time but then I got full w/ no leaking, now I'm leaking with mini plugged ducts and lumps of milk around the nipples, making things very tender. Will this affect me when I have my next kid or will me drying up clear the way for the next baby in a few years? Is all of this normal?
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: How long before you dry up? Plugged ducts....

The only reason what you're experiencing might impact you with your next baby is if you end up with a breast infection due to plugged ducts turning mastitis and then an abscess. It's a very unlikely outcome, but I still think it makes sense to take out a little milk right now (preferably by hand, but by pump if necessary). Take out just enough to restore comfort, and you won't risk increasing your supply. Your milk will still dwindle away.

So, is this normal? Well, it depends on what you think "normal" is. Biologically speaking, what is normal is for weaning to occur very slowly, reducing the likelihood of engorgement. Either mom would become pregnant and her supply would diminish or vanish, or the baby would eventually outgrow the need to nurse and gradually self-wean. It sounds like you weaned a bit faster than what is biologically normal, YKWIM? After all, you baby isn't yet quite a year old, and until around the first birthday (and sometimes longer) a baby's primary source of nutrition is her mother's milk. So your supply as of a week ago was probably a lot more abundant than that of someone who was weaning an older toddler.

When you ask "will me drying up clear the way for the next baby in a few years" are you asking about fertility? Or are you asking about breast function?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I sadly spent most of my time at the pump and was only able to breastfeed on weekends and before bedtime on weeknights. I have so much frozen milk in our deep freeze that my daughter can probably make it 14 or 15 months still on breastmilk.

I have been keeping an eye so I don't get an infection, but I just want to ensure breast function for the next child. I have NO idea what I'm doing. My DD would fuss when she was nursing and kept trying to nurse but acted like nothing was coming out and that she was always hungry and she wasn't waking up at night so I figured it was the oportune time to wean.

She doesn't seem like she misses it most days but like tonight, she was tugging at my shirt and rubbing her finger over the clasp on the nursing tank top that I still wear.
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

If you let your daughter continue to nurse just the one time before bed each day, it would probably help a lot with the plugged ducts.

I've noticed even with my younger toddler (only 19 months) I don't have so much milk just sitting in the breast in between nursings even though he still nurses a lot. Maybe if you continue to nurse just that one time a day your body might be better prepared to wean once your daughter is a little older.

ETA: And I think your breasts should function just fine as long as you don't end up with an infection that isn't properly treated.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

with Phi. Function will be fine provided you avoid some sort of debilitating infection, and again, that's a very unlikely outcome. And if you let baby nurse some of this milk out for you, you may set your weaning clock back a bit but on the other hand you'd retain nursing as a mothering tool. Your LO isn't even a year yet. That means you still have a lot of teeth to get through! And nursing right before bedtime is a great way to soothe a teething toddler. No pressure, just sayin'. .

ETA: in case you're thinking that you MUST wean in order to "clear the way" for another baby, you don't.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If what you want is to help your milk dry up faster, then applying cabbage leaves to your breasts will help. You can just crush the leaves a bit, then slip them into your bra for a good while, perhaps several times. Also, eating a bunch of Altoids should decrease your milk production. And an anti-inflammatory (like Tylenol or Advil) will help with the pain.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012