Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Output while at work

Exclamation Output while at work

Yesterday was my first day back to work. I pumped 2x. (double pump) The first time I got a total of 4.5 oz. The second time I just barely got 4 oz. I BF once I got home and she seemed to still be so hungry. I continued to BF until she settled down and didn't want the breast anymore.

Today, when I got home (on lunch break), she happened to be hungry when I was on lunch, so I fed her. I pumped 4 hrs afterwards and got a little over 3oz. I see the amount that I am pumping is getting less and less...should I be concerned over this? When my husband feeds her at home, he gives her between 2-2.5 oz and she seems to be content.
    When or should I be concerned with the decrease?

Also, when I pump, am I supposed to pump for 10 minutes even if nothing is coming out? Guess this is all over the place, any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and another question-my husband feeds her off a slow flow nipple and she doesn't spit up afterwards, but when I BF her, she spits up A LOT...any reason why that would be?

Default Re: Output while at work

Most women need to pump every 2-3 hours for 15-20 minutes while at work to maintain supply. I was able to get away with pumping 2x at work when I had an oversupply, but needed to pump 3x once my supply evened out. You want to make sure your parts are properly sized for your breasts. Also, membranes or valves (depending on what type of pump you are using) need to be replaced periodically or your pump can lose suction.

My baby spewed spit up like crazy when he was little. It was sometimes much worse for my son after nursing than it was after bottles too, and I think that may be due to my overactive letdown (but I can't say that with certainty). At any rate, as long as there isn't any pain with the spit up, it's not something that warrants concern.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

It's pretty typical to pump less as the day goes on.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Do I pump for 10-15 even if nothing is coming out though?

Is nothing is coming out at all when you pump for those 10-15 minutes, or do you get some milk right away then it stops?

When I pump I get a lot to come out, until after about 5-7 minutes, then very very little stops and then nothing at all.

If you are producing enough to cover the next day, I would just stop after the milk stops flowing.

If not then you might want to pump a little longer to get a second letdown. However, adding in another pumping session is usually better than pumping for a longer time.

Well, the day before you said that you did not nurse and you got more out. Then the day you nursed, you got less out in the afternoon. That makes sense to me. Your baby nursed, so she removed some of the milk.

How long are you away from her every day?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

In the morning I am away anywhere from 2.5-3 hrs. Then I have a lunch break and am back to work for 3.5-4 hrs. Like today I fed her at 7:45, and she probably wont be hungry until about 11:30 so I will feed her on my lunch (I wont pump this morning), and then I'll have to pump this afternoon at work because she will be hungry before 4:30 which is when I get out of work. She is on somewhat of a schedule, but not constant. (She is 7 weeks old).

I would try to have more of a fixed pumping schedule for a little while. Nurse before work. Pump an hour or two after that. Nurse at lunch. Pump a couple hours after that. Nurse when you get home. If you end up with some extra milk doing this, just freeze it for a back up.

While scheduled nursing is a really bad idea, pumping is a little different and it is better to have more of a schedule when you pump.

That morning stretch may be a little too long to go without pumping on a regular basis and you may end up seeing a drop in your supply after awhile, even if it yields enough milk right now.