Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I think my pediatrician is wrong - what do you think?

Default Re: I think my pediatrician is wrong - what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*happynewmom View Post
    It was hard to find a pediatrician. Everyone said they weren't accepting new patients. So I doubt I'll be able to switch to a new one. Also where I live a lot of doctors don't speak good english, so I am lucky to at least have a pediatrician that can speak english.
    This is a little bit of a hijack but are you, by any chance, in Quebec? No new patients, language barriers, and free lactation clinic you mentioned elsewhere made me wonder. Feel free to message me if you don't want to answer here... or to not answer at all!

Savor those big happy smiles. They're amazing!
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

My two cents is trust your insticts-and get a new doctor!! Take her off the formula, it will only make matters worse. Try to increase your supply with lots of water and supplements. The point the doctor made that you can't tell how much breastfed babies eat isn't true, they can be weighed and if he didn't do this-then he doesn't really know she isn't eating enough! All babies are different and gain differently, as long as she is staying to her own pace (not dropping drastically, but a slow gain) she is fine! A LOT of babies have mild cow's milk allergies-good call on cutting it out.

P.S.-all babies are needy! it's ok

I messaged you vivsmama.

She is not on formula. She is exclusively breastfed. I stopped giving formula a good 3-4 weeks ago.

I feel like we are regressing in our progress. Today she spit up 13 times, and I have been painfully engorged.

Unless your baby is in pain, don't worry about spit up. Stop counting, you will just make yourself crazy. Prolific spit up is common with oversupply and overactive letdown. My perfectly healthy extra fat little baby spewed spit up constantly.

Keep block feeding (increase your blocks if you think you need to do so). Nurse in a relined position to slow the flow of milk (helps a little with spit up). Cold compresses helped ease the pain of engorgement for me.

Oversupply can fluctuate back and forth a lot before you see a permanent improvement. It will get better, it can just take awhile sometimes.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).