Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think my pediatrician is wrong - what do you think?

Default Re: I think my pediatrician is wrong - what do you think?

Now I am pretty sure that I do have oversupply. When I thought I didn't have enough milk I did switch feeding and took fenugreek to increase my milk. Have I caused my own oversupply issue? I am engorged today. What should I do for my baby's comfort suckling? Will it stimulate the breast and make oversupply issues worse? She loves to suckle herself to sleep on my nipple without drinking. I am going to start to do the opposite of switch feeding, instead offering only one breast at each feeding. I used to offer each breast twice per feeding.

Let your baby comfort nurse. That doesn't have a huge impact on OS. Offer one breast per feeding, or one breast per every two feedings if that doesn't work. Try nursing in a reclined position to slow the flow.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Since I started trying to feed on one side only at each nursing, her poop has become less bright and more brown. Like a brownish yellow colour. What does that mean? She still fusses at the breast a bit, but her spitting up has gone down. She only spit up 3 times today!

The poop color may not mean anything. What you've described sounds like it is in the range of normal poop color. There are lots of reasons why poop can change color, but if color is the only change you are seeing then it's probably nothing.

Feeding one breast per nursing session seemed to help my baby a little with spit up too when he was little. But spit up (even lots of it) is normal, so don't worry too much about it.

I agree the color change may not mean anything, and spit up is not something to wory about. BUT, is the poop still what one would call a mustardy brown, but maybe less greenish or less frothy? I am thinking the poop color change may mean she is getting more hindmilk due to you having baby nurse one side at a time. Ditto the less spit up. If that is the case, you probably do have some oald and what you are doing is working in reducing the effects of that. Remember with oald, do not reduce the number of nursing sessions or nursing frequency at all.

Her poop has never been green. It is typically an extremely bright yellow. Today its been a dark brownish yellow. They're still seedy but her poops have been very big today. Is this diarrhea?

I haven't reduced nursing sessions at all, still feeding on demand, and also letting her comfort suckle.

I would be very surprised if this was diarrhea. It does not sound like it. Seriously, I think it's either nothing or a (positive) reaction to the change to nursing one side at time. Check out this article http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html

my son's poop is (and has almost always been) normally somewhere darker than mustard yellow, more like a brownish yellow also. when he had diarrhea, it looked like watery pesto and stank to high heaven.

Thanks so much for all the help. LLL is such a blessing for an inexperienced mom like me! I was worried about the poop today but I'm glad you all think it isn't anything to fret about. It would be so easy to just give her formula, especially when she is fussy at the breast, but I don't want to give up. I find she fusses most around this time of night.

Illness related poop changes often smell worse than death.