Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another poop question

Default Another poop question

Since this afternoon my ds has had really green poopy diapers. They're still seedy and smell normal, but the color is crazy. I know that often means too much foremilk, and his feedings were petty spaced out today - he ate about every 2.5-3 hours rather than 1.5-2 (he slept a lot). Would his poops change color that quickly? Should I offer to feed him more often?

Also, he sleeps about 5-6 hours at the start of the night (from 8 or 9 until around 2). When he nurses the letdown sprays everywhere, and I let it drip onto a diaper until it slows down. He only takes one side and then he usually falls asleep. The next time he wakes up (around 5), he only takes the other side. I'm worried that's affecting my supply because later in the afternoon he gets fussy and pulls at the breast while he's latched on, and I end up feeding from both sides. It looks like a video from Dr Newman's site of a baby who isn't getting enough milk...but the green poops suggest that I have oversupply, right?

Or am I worrying too much? :-)
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Default Re: Another poop question

Green poops don't necessarily mean anything at all. Green is part of the normal spectrum of poop colors. OS poops are usually really frothy in addition to being green. Unless you have other symptoms of oversupply, then I wouldn't worry about that.

It is normal for a baby to nurse on only one side at a time in the morning when milk supply tends to be highest, then take both sides in the afternoon/evening when milk supply tends to be lower. Furthermore, fussing at the breast in the evenings is very normal regardless of milk supply. I had significant oversupply and my son fussed at the breast every single evening until he was 5 months old.

It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about at all. It certainly doesn't hurt to offer to nurse a little more frequently, but it's not something I would stress out about.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

One day of green diapers does not a problem make. Green is a variation of normal when it comes to baby poop.

If you continue to see consistently green poop- give it a week or so before you make that determination- then we can talk about oversupply and how to deal with it, and why there's no such thing as foremilk. It does sound like you may have some degree of oversupply- seeing milk spray out forcefully and having baby often take just one breast per feeding during all or part of the day are both oversupply signs. It's pretty normal to have baby take just one breast at night and in the morning, which are typically high supply times, and then require both breasts in the afternoon/ evening, which are typically lower supply times.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the responses! Do you think I should wake him up at night an extra time? Like around 12 rather than waiting until he wakes up? I don't want to rock the boat, but even now when I go to get him at night he's still half asleep (grunting and sucking on his hand), never fully awake (crying). I wonder if I just happen to wake up at that point, yet he might be doing it earlier in the night too and I just sleep through it. Plus my boobs get so full it hurts a little!
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Waking a baby in the middle of the night is a time-honored way of dealing with discomfort from fullness/ engorgement.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Waking a baby in the middle of the night is a time-honored way of dealing with discomfort from fullness/ engorgement.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together