Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Second post, LOTS of questions, new to BFing, 6-day old baby

Unhappy Second post, LOTS of questions, new to BFing, 6-day old baby

Ok, here we go. I have found this site to be so much more supportive and knowledgeable than any other, so I feel confident asking all my stupid questions now. Please excuse my obvious cluelessness in advance.

Do i stop my son from nursing after a certain period of time (some sites say 15-20 minutes) or do i wait for him to stop on his own? If he stops on his own and is awake, do I offer the other side? If he stops and is asleep, do I wake him and offer the other side? What if he just stays latched on for hours (which is what he does now)?

What if he only empties one breast per feeding? Do i pump the one not fed off of, or leave it alone until the next feeding?

When to start pumping - do I start now and save the milk (if so, when do I pump? between feedings, after feedings, etc) or do I wait a couple of weeks?*

If he is "flutter sucking", is he still getting milk or just pacifying? Do I stop him or let him go til he spits out the nipple on his own? Most of the time, if he is fluttering, he isn't swallowing...just laying there, mostly asleep.

What do I do if he IS just pacifying? Let him, or break the latch? The problem is, if I break the latch even after 2 hours of him being latched, he gets mad and immediately starts rooting again.

Right now I'm not working and have plenty of support, so his being latched all day is fine. I know he will grow out of it soon, so I'm just savoring these moments while I can. But I still feel really clueless in the meantime, and any advice would be SO helpful.

Default Re: Second post, LOTS of questions, new to BFing, 6-day old

Do i stop my son from nursing after a certain period of time (some sites say 15-20 minutes) or do i wait for him to stop on his own?
    Let him stop on his own, unless you have to go to the bathroom or something!

If he stops on his own and is awake, do I offer the other side?
    yes go ahead and offer. If he does not want it, just start on that side next time.

If he stops and is asleep, do I wake him and offer the other side?
    no, unless there is a concern baby is not getting enough based on output (poops0 or weight gain. But don't be surprised or alarmed if he wants to nurse again soon, even in just a few minutes, that is normal.

What if he just stays latched on for hours (which is what he does now)?
    as long as he is gaining well and pooping, a long time at the breast is perfectly fine and normal at this age. Also fine to take him off if you want so you can eat or take care of personal needs.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*thefoleyfive
    Do i stop my son from nursing after a certain period of time (some sites say 15-20 minutes) or do i wait for him to stop on his own? If he stops on his own and is awake, do I offer the other side? If he stops and is asleep, do I wake him and offer the other side? What if he just stays latched on for hours (which is what he does now)?
    You don't have to stop your son - most babies will pull back or stop on their own when they are full. If he stops, simply try to introduce the nipple again. If he is hungry, he will re-latch and continue feeding. I like to take the pauses and switch breasts, so both breasts are being drained during a feeding. My daughter would feed for about 5 minutes on the right breast, then she usually pauses to breathe or falls asleep or sometimes to tilt her head back to watch me. I would take the opportunity to switch sides and let her continue feeding. I would keep doing this until she is finally full and refuses to take my breast. (This is usually when she would purse her lips tightly and push away from me, crying if I keep insisting on stuffing my nipple in her mouth OR by falling asleep completely and ignoring my nipple).

My daughter also has a habit of falling asleep a few minutes into a feeding. I simply prop her up in a burping position and give her hearty pats on the back. This startles her awake, so I can introduce the nipple and let her suckle once more. You can also try stripping the baby, so he is not too warm and cozy. Tickling, singing, picking up the baby... all those techniques will work. If all fails, just let him sleep for a bit... if he is hungry, he will wake up within 10 minutes of putting him in his crib (just like my daughter)!

What if he only empties one breast per feeding? Do i pump the one not fed off of, or leave it alone until the next feeding?
    I usually wait for 10 minutes... if the baby continues to sleep soundly, I would pump the other breast for about 15-25 minutes so it is drained and will not plug.

When to start pumping - do I start now and save the milk (if so, when do I pump? between feedings, after feedings, etc) or do I wait a couple of weeks?
    I would wait until 6 weeks before you start pumping. Breastfeed the baby first - try to alternate breasts while feeding him. Then, when he is done, you can pump for another 5-10 minutes to get any leftover milk. Do not overdo it, because you will actually over-stimulate your nipples and produce TOO much milk.

This can lead to painful plugged ducts, possible Mastitis/infection and a upset mama/baby. (Yes - it happened to me. I am overproducing milk and live in a red haze of pain for 2 months. I'm still trying to recover!)

If he is "flutter sucking", is he still getting milk or just pacifying? Do I stop him or let him go til he spits out the nipple on his own? Most of the time, if he is fluttering, he isn't swallowing...just laying there, mostly asleep.

What do I do if he IS just pacifying? Let him, or break the latch? The problem is, if I break the latch even after 2 hours of him being latched, he gets mad and immediately starts rooting again.
    It doesn't hurt the baby to have your nipple for comfort. Especially at the very beginning... babies like to snuggle. I didn't want to introduce the pacifier until she was 6 weeks old, so I let her snuggle and suckle on my breasts until she was asleep. If I can pull my nipple out, then I will.

Sometimes her mouth might continue to move a bit, after I pull out, but she is obviously not hungry and she won't wake up when I set her down in her crib. If she DOES wake up, then I'll offer another breast until she calms down and falls asleep again.

Don't forget to burp! I made the mistake of forgetting to burp when she was asleep during a feeding. She woke up 15 minutes later bawling... then threw up Niagara Falls all over my body.
    Proud of Baby

Usually no need to pump, and the breast is never really "empty." Fine to just wait until the next feeding, which should be very soon. If you feel overful or are getting engorged, then you can 1) offer the full breast to baby 2) hand express "too comfort" (just enough to feel comfortable) or 3) pump "too comfort."

When to start pumping - do I start now and save the milk (if so, when do I pump? between feedings, after feedings, etc) or do I wait a couple of weeks?*
    This depends on when you will return to work, what your scedule will be and how much you will be able to pump at work, among other things. Right now this is very early days and the most intense time of all, so I would suggest holding off on pumping for now, who needs the extra work. Plus pumping now could cause milk supply issues (too much.)

Baby nursing for comfort is a normal and vital aspect of breastfeeding. Babies are born with an intense need to suckle for comfort, and doign so allows baby to get enough overall and to bring in mommas milk supply properly. Again, as long as baby is gaining/pooping as much as needed, this is totally fine and normal. It will not hurt to allow baby to do this. Just sit back and relax and let him go as long as he wants, but again, if YOU need to stop to eat or take care of YOUR personal neeeds, that is OK too.

Right now I'm not working and have plenty of support, so his being latched all day is fine. I know he will grow out of it soon, so I'm just savoring these moments while I can. But I still feel really clueless in the meantime, and any advice would be SO helpful.
    You are doing just great, yes this intense time is VERY short. Enjoy it. I tell brand new moms that they are the QUEEN taking care of the ROYAL INFANT and everyone else is there to SERVE the QUEEN by feeding her and taking care of her and her surroundings while she relaxs and cuddles and nurses the precious best baby in the world.

Suggested Additonal helpful reading-the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition 2010) and this article on what is normal in the early days: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Maybe this is just my hormones talking, but I could cry right now at how helpful you ladies are. This is such new territory to me (BFing) and I feel like every minute there is a new "what if." You are wonderful- thank you so much.

Don't worry You are doing a great job so far! Keep it up!!
    Proud of Baby